1995 OHV no turn over on first crank | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 OHV no turn over on first crank

Vininfinite

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT
Hello explorer forum. I have a 95 OHV Explorer and I've been having trouble starting it. If my truck hasn't been used in a couple hours I find that the first crank will normally do nothing, but the second crank will start her up. For instance: If I do a quick first crank, stop, and do a second I find that it can start. But if I do a long first crank it normally will do nothing beneficial. Im not the best at descriptions, but I sometimes experience a slow sputter at start with turbulence.

Within the last month I have done a oil change, fuel filter, new spark plugs, spark plug wires are only 6 months old, and have used Lucas injector cleaner once. My problem starting has been pretty consistent for almost a year now. When I've done repairs such has changing the spark plugs I've noticed it starts fine for a short time, but it has always come back.

It does seem to be getting gradual worse, so now that I've tried to eliminate some variables I'm looking for direction before my starter burns out. I really don't want to replace that damn thing..

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try replacing the fuel pump relay.

Check the fuel pressure as well at startup. When was your fuel filter last replaced?

Also, try to turn your key to the "on" position for a few seconds before trying to turn it over. You should hear your fuel pump click on and hum for a few seconds. That will turn the fuel pump and prime it. If it turns over after you have primed it then you have a fuel pressure problem. If you don't hear your fuel pump hum then try to change the relay as my98nnj said.

Let us know how it turns out.

Oops, I must have mis read that you replaced the fuel filter within the month... forget that part of my last post.

I do let the truck prime itself before ignition.

I will investigate the relay and will see about measuring the fuel pressure just to rule anything else out. But could the relay really be causing this? I thought a relay was like a fuse; it either works or doesn't, right?

Back