1996 Aerostar. It runs hot, then the coolant leaks out. It has a new radiator. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Aerostar. It runs hot, then the coolant leaks out. It has a new radiator.

Austin96

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Mazda Navajo 5 speed
1996 Aerostar
138,x.. miles

Car is now at my mechanic who is a friend and a very knowledgeable Ford mechanic ...owns several ..

Issue: New radiator in 2 weeks ago- drove hour back home and once off the highway temp went hot at lights - by time I got home almost hit red - shut off
and coolant leaked out- towed to shop

needed to replace heater hose(s) - today's diagnosis is cant figure out ( yet) why it starts off normal temp- but goes hot - No blown head gasket .

He will run more tests tomorrow but I'm curious if anyone can point out any "quirky" coolant things to check on Aerostars...

Thanks.
Austin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

check the thermostat? is the ratiator getting hot? fan? water pump stripped out?

Mechanic ordered a new temp thermostat from Ford. I think it's a 165d vs the 190d that comes stock. (or visaversa?)

Unfortunately they delivered the wrong one and have to wait till morning now.

On test runs Van runs OK sometimes then Way hot very quickly the on a test run an hour later...

I'm hoping this solves the issue ..If not he will pull the water pump..(I just bought the Aerostar in June from the original owner, and the water pump is only 6 months "new"...)

My overheating did melt 1 spark plug so now have new plugs & wires...

Praying for good results.

Changing your Thermostat to Lower heat range will not make a '96, OBD II Based system run better cooler as it is It is -38*F out of specification. 96 AERO calls for a 198 +/- T-Stat. With correct PSI (pressure), & no leaks, running 50% ethelyne glycol, [or equivilant coolant} you shoild be able to run all day long in 95-100 deg F heat using your A/C without problems. I do it all year long in central Florida. We are hotter than south Florida more often. I'll write more later for you. Right now I need to get prepared for an SCCA -solo event Tomorrow & it's tomorrow already. . .
Consider this: I'm saying making your Aero run worse is not going to make it run better. Especially if your so called mechanic sets up a 1996 OBD II PCM controlled system based on his out of time 1950's thinking & spec's. You may be experiencing a coolant or pressure loss to get diagnostic you are talking about working to repair.

I'll be back monday @ earliest on this, probably more like Tuesday tho'.
FBP @ Central FL:salute:

Have you replaced fan clutch? If it only runs hot at red lights then that's it.

Mine did the same thing when cold. When turning the fan blades by hand, it seemed to have resistance, (like it was good). While sitting on the side of the road waiting for help to arrive, I spun the fan, and it made 10 revolutions before slowing down. The Haynes book recommends placing a piece of folded cardboard into the fan while it's running as the definitive test of a fan clutch. It all depends on whether its hot or cold.

Also check the engine freeze plugs while it it up on a lift. My van was leaking coolant and I could not track down the issue and it turned out to be the freeze plugs.
-Scott

Back