1996 JBL system needs subs and amp install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 JBL system needs subs and amp install

Puffywoods35

Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
`96 Explorer
Hello-

I have a 1996 Explorer with the jbl system and cd changer. I would like to keep everything stock but add a Rockford 360.2 amp and 2 12" kenwood subs. How will I go about doing this? (I am a novice at car audio installs) I bought a thing that is supposed to get me rca hook ups, but it says I have to hook them up to my speakers, what will I do with the speakers then? Thanks for your help.

-Austin

on my old explorer, I used the little box you are talking about(line converter). I just unhooked my factory sub and wired it to the wires that were going to it. To do this, you first have to wire the line converter to be in series. By this i mean you hook one of the positive wires from the line converter to one of the negative wires and tape them up. You will not use these anymore. Now take the two remaining wires and hook them to the wires from your stock subwoofer. If you hook them up in parallel the line converter will probably catch on fire. Make sure the stock sub is unhooked before you do any of this this..Now just turn the gain knobs on the line converter down and you should have a low enough signal at the RCA jacks.

Back