1996-Replaced cluster bulbs and one will not work NOW | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996-Replaced cluster bulbs and one will not work NOW

Andrea P

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 4WD XLT
Hello
I had 2 dash bulbs out. So I went and replaced all of them with l.e.d.'s. Now, the two that were out are fine and a different location is out that received a new bulb. I switched the connectors around to see if I had a bad connector or bulb and that is not the case.
Could the plastic circuit sheet gone bad in one spot?? It is the bulb that illuminates 40 to 80 miles an hour, which could get me in a lot of trouble!! LOL

I really am not electrically inclined so I am looking for any ideas of what it could be?

And thank you to shod, who has given me some ideas but it is over my head ;>

By the way, it is my last working car, at the moment.

Andrea

soemtimes these LEDs can cause issues unexpected, not sure why, but I run into issues with em occasionally, like I needed an adapter or something to make front LED lights work (since changed bulbs and it works fine w/o so far?) but i do know sometimes they have issue. try cleaning the contacts, or try reflowing the solder, I have a fluctuating speedometer cause of that, on my list of things to do sometime when i remember (aka wont do for 10 years) 🤣

Besides what Fix4Dirt mentioned, if it is the plastic sheet, you could solder a small (high gauge) jumper wire from the contact of a working socket to the dead contact. A multimeter would tell you which contact of the two isn't conducting.

Thank so much for your time and help.

It is now working....

So, I embarked on this by myself. My husband decided to get involved and with that, we both missed changing out one of the old bulbs to the l.e.d. (one way at the top of the cluster), which was not noticeable until I had the cluster out completely. Changing that bulb, then made it all work. Only issue, I have a screw left over! But I will take it!

Back