1996 Shift Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Shift Issues

Twiztidly

Reaction score
Ok.. so ive looked around the forums and ive seen a few people having similar symptoms.. but not seem to have the same problem....

My X is an automatic 96 v6 4.0l 4wd 194,000 miles

3 days ago i had to go to chicago to pick up my mother from the airport (about 60 miles one way) and while on the highway i noticed a shift issue... as i would accelerate it would over rev (go from 3500 to 6000 rpm instantly) while shifting.. and the only way to stop it was to totally let off the accelerator... which at the time i didnt pay attention to what gear... well about 30 miles down the road the O/D Off light came on and started flashing.... it kept flashing untill i turned the truck off and back on... which it still over revved everytime i accelerate.. again it always seemed at the same time but i wasnt sure what gear it was shifting into while doin it... As i was in chicago i really had no choice but to drive back with the truck doin this...

the O/D OFF light came back on after about 20 minutes of driving... and continued to stay on the whole way home... when i got back to my town i dropped my mother off at my grandmothers and drove to the store to get food for dinner and on the way back it started overrevving EVERY time i accelerated... and the Check Engine light came on and the OD OFF light again started flashing...... called a shop and they said to get the tranny flushed ASAP and that if its not to late it could save the tranny.. as a tranny flush was something ive been planning on doin for some time now.. i figured nows the time.....

after the flush it shifted REALLY nice... and the od off light went out.... the shop reset the CEL... and it seemed to only over rev goin from second to third (this time it only went up by about 500 to 1000 rpms as opposed to 2500 to 3000 rpms)

later that night i had to drive to another town which is about a 45 minute drive.. and it seemd to shift awesome.. didnt really over rev at all... but then the OD off light came back on..... after that.. the next morning i had to drive back and the OD off light never came back on.. and it never over revved... untill the following day it started to over rev again (only while shifting from 2nd to 3rd) but the od off light has yet to relight...

ive talked to a few places and some say that it could be the Shift Solenoid 2 (controls shift from 2nd to 3rd?) some say its the Torque Converter.. some say its the TCC.... and of course the Ford dealership says i have to have to tranny rebuilt....

My mechanic seems to agree with the shift solenoid.. or even that its the valve body gasket (which i guess is a common issue with mid to late 90's X's)

since hes a relative hes willing to replace the Shift Solenoid and Valve body Gasket for free as long as i get the parts....

his shop is about an hour and a half away.. so id like to get a few other opinions on what else it may be... and also if anyone knows a good place to get the parts from... ive checked advanced and autozone and they have the Solenoids but not the vb gasket... and im not to sure if i should throw there stuff in the tranny when ive usually had some bad luck with anything to do with electronic parts from them....

Back