1997 2WD Aerostar with a slow, rhythmic shudder while driving. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 2WD Aerostar with a slow, rhythmic shudder while driving.

courtesyvan

Reaction score
City, State
Oakland, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Aerostar XLT 2WD
'97 2WD extended with the 4.0l engine, 155,000 miles. Driving anywhere over 15mph gives this slow shudder, like a combination of vibration and a jolt. Most noticeable when coasting over smooth pavement between 40 - 60 mph. I'd say I feel it about once every 1 or 2 seconds, at a pretty steady rhythm, feels like the whole van is shuddering. Doesn't seem to be connected to the steering wheel in any way.

So far I've replaced the transmission crossmember and tranny mount since they seemed worn out, but no dice. Front bushings and ball joints, shocks and springs all around have less than 5,000 miles on them. Engine starts up easy and runs steady and cool, transmission shifts well and pulls well, no hard shifts or clunking. I had all four tires replaced and balanced just out of caution, but that didn't solve anything either. Motor mounts and driveshaft U-joints seem fine too.

I've had two separate mechanics inspect the car on the lift. One of them also took it on a test drive, said he could feel the shudder but had no idea what could be causing it.

At a total loss as to what to look at next, any advice would be appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They were just looked at, as far as I know. It's been a struggle to find a mechanic who is interested in doing things diligently. More money to be made servicing modern vehicles I guess. I'll probably replace the U-Joints just as a precaution, it seems doable enough.

Anyone know off the top of their heads whether a 97 RWD extended with the 4.0 + 5R55E would have a steel or aluminum driveshaft?

How long has it been since the fluid was replaced in the transmission? Is the shudder present if you turn the overdrive off?

Could be possibly a loose tire...........bad rear wheel bearing................bad tire? Rear end mountings?

That's a tough one! I had a similarly tough time finding the cause of a code PO300 'random engine misfire' in my '98 Pontiac Bonneville. A few years back, it got so bad, I gave in and took it to the dealership. They found a cracked spark plug, and a loose plug wire on another cyl. And I'd recently replaced the plugs and wires. Problem started again in the fall of 2019, more replaced parts, including the fuel pump, which I had to do twice, because the first pump was a dud! Finally tested the coil packs with an ohm meter, and two of the three had no reading at all! Replaced all three, problem solved. But now, there's a CE code for the fuel pressure sensor. I was quoted $275 just to drop the tank, so looks like I'll have to do it myself, when the weather cooperates!

Back