1997 Explorer Front Wheels Enagaged in and cant get it out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer Front Wheels Enagaged in and cant get it out

mustangfan35

Reaction score
I Recently bought a 1997 Ford Explorer Xlt they said it was stuck in 4 Low I figured easy fix but I was wrong I've tried everything to fix it I've run codes and the DTC codes are 1824 1804 I've tested the switch on the dash it tested good I've took the battery cable of and tool motor off and turn manually still didn't change a thing I've also took the electric clutch wires apart that didn't change anything the front wheels are lock in and I don't know how to get them out my dad tried the brown wire mod trick and he said it disengaged the front wheels but it's in 2 low now so how do I fix the problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recommend going ahead and opening up the case, then you can properly diagnosis the internal problems. Make the upgrades & repairs, new seals, then you should be good to go for a while.

That what we was going to do but is that the problem the transfer case? If it is would you suggest buying a used one

So it's in 2wd low right so if I did the brown wire mod thing to make t in 2wd low could I manually turn the motor the put it in high and since the front wheels are disengaged it would be in 2wd high witch would be wheel drive right

Around here the used ones are both high mileage & high dollar. If you canget one cheap it is nice to have a spare.

Back