1997 explorer limited awd- bw4404 t-case trouble? or hubs?or what? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 explorer limited awd- bw4404 t-case trouble? or hubs?or what?

Yes I am puzzled as to how the truck moves while in park too... The only thing I can think of is that the VC allows slippage between the front and rear axle... Well I'm going to pick up a used case from 97V8 here in a week or so... Once I get the old one out I plan to pull it apart and see what makes it tick.

thanks for the advice guys.

now you mentioned about pulling the case and putting another in...can you give me a little more information on this?

what case should i be looking for? off of what truck, year? is it manual lock or auto?

the junk yards around here don't allow us to walk around and look for things, the ministry of transportation prevents that from happening.

I have the same year truck with 5.0 AWD and it does what yours does :(

Is it the Transfer Case?

Hey Ya'll,
I have a similar problem and figured I'd see if anyone had a recommendation on my 98 Limited AWD 5.0 (180K Miles). I recently replaced a hub bearing that went out and it drove fine for about 3 weeks and then I started experiencing a drivetrain bang on take off. If you come off the line fast, it feels like a u-joint tearing itself apart but once you get up to 20 - 25MPH, it is fine. If you take off of the line gradually, it is fine. I suspect a transfer case issue also. Can I get a second opinion out there?
Thanks, Andy

Back