• Register Today It's free!

1997 explorer newb

masterbeatty

Reaction score
City, State
farmington MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
ok i am indeed a newbe and i just got a 97 xlt with the 5.0 i did a tune up and all that good jazz. now i have been lookin at some stuff on the site and have a few questions.
lets start with is there anything i can do with the t case or am i just guna be stuck with awd?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you just saved my day. thanks alot. ok next question. im lookin to run 33s. i started my tt today by pb blastering everything. so then ill need to level out the back. extended shackles and im thinkn about a 2 inch body lift if i can get away with it and not have to cut. but i wana regear and run maby a 4.56 or 4.88 because eventually ill be running a taller tire. are there any hold up in running a 4.56 or 4.88 in the front. pinion size or nething?

Well obviously you're not a newb since you know about how pinion size changes with gear ratio. :thumbsup:. But no there is wouldn't really be any problems with running 4.88s over 4.56s as the CV axle shafts will probably blow before the pinion or the axle housing fractures (from torque).

im not a newb to trucks. im 17 and have managed with my dads help to sas a bronco and put 12 inches of lift under it and my familly mainly drives lifted trucks so im ive been around 4wheelin since i knew what was goin on in my car seat. but these computers and stuff are still wearn on me. my 94 bronco didnt have nearly the computer stuff and i liked it

welcome and congrads on getting an x

welcome and congrads on getting an x

Best advice so far... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I've got the TT, warrior shackles, and a 3" body lift and my 33x12.5 tires hit the body molding when cornering over bumps. They also hit all the time in the mud, with the ruts and stuff. If you did some trimming you'd be fine, but I don't think you can get away with 33s under just the shackles, tt, and 2" body.

here's what my clearance looks like:
moldingtruck.jpg

That's turned all the way.

oh wow thats a little close. well thats guna get put off a while. im lookin at messin with the exhaust tomorow. just got some new wire and need to get the pipe.

wait i dont have that molding. i have the running board the mold under the door. and those are goin bye bye as soon as i get some herculiner.

can someone tell me what size pipe enters the muffler?

Back