1997 Explorer thermostat housing replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer thermostat housing replacement

I went to the parts store today and got a tee and some heavy duty hose and this should take care of it. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I was able to replace the thermostat housing today and put it all back together and it doesn't even leak!........Thanks again to all those who helped out with their posts........ now to the next problem I found today........I will be starting a new post shortly.

I have a 2000 explorer 4x4 4.0 V6 with a busted lower thermostat housing and I just found this thread. Biggest problem was finding part and because mine has the screw in sensors and the screw studs are different.

MUCH help... thank you. I have most of my answers. The only thing I was worried about ... which is now hindsight... was whether to take off manifold. But now that I have, is it okay to just rebolt manifold backon (without a new gasket) after replacing the thermostat housing? I know there is a sequence.

Is there anything anyone has encountered that they can add to this.

I have a 2000 explorer 4x4 4.0 V6 with a busted lower thermostat housing and I just found this thread. Biggest problem was finding part and because mine has the screw in sensors and the screw studs are different.

MUCH help... thank you. I have most of my answers. The only thing I was worried about ... which is now hindsight... was whether to take off manifold. But now that I have, is it okay to just rebolt manifold backon (without a new gasket) after replacing the thermostat housing? I know there is a sequence.

Is there anything anyone has encountered that they can add to this.
Too late for this improved OEM lower housing upgrade?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239493

No, not too late swshawaii
Thanks for the thread link
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239493

I have located the part I need but I have to buy the upper and lower assembly. But includes the sensors with thermostat and gaskets. My cost is $160.00.(Oreilley Auto)

I think that is reasonable considering entire unit and OEM. YOU THINK?

However I do like the upgrade option. Just have not commited yet. I think I will check on latest upgrade parts prices and compare. Is the upgrade better than OEM or just because price and availabilty of OEM part?

Is the upgrade better than OEM or just because price and availabilty of OEM part?
An upgrade because it deletes the threaded sensors.
Ford or Motorcraft parts are considered OEM, not Murray)

Compare RockAuto or Amazon pricing for identical parts.
O'Reilly prices are usually very steep by comparison. GL

Smart choice sticking with OEM parts unless it's suspension or brakes. :thumbsup:

Need rubber tee too!

Does anyone know of an aftermarket rubber tee that was mentioned above?

The Ford dealer can only sell as an assembly and wants $213.48 + tax!!

Part # is 97JF9P904AG.

Back