1997 explorer transplant | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 explorer transplant

xland61

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer
Thanks for all the help with the 5R55E transmission found one out of a 2000 explore 143k truck was totaled hit in the rear so that brings me to my next question anyone tell me how much trouble is it to drop the 2000 Sohc in place of the 1997Sohc both are 4.0 V6. and if so what do i need to change to make it work i can buy motor and trans for 300 buck what a deal. Thanks for your help in advance.:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1997 vs 2000 SOHC V6

Your 1997 has a variable intake system (VIS) and the 2000 doesn't so some of the engine wiring harness and the vacuum harness will be different. The 2000 has an integrated MAF/IAT sensor and I think the 1997 has the IAT sensor separate from the MAF sensor. I can't remember for sure but I think the camshaft position sensor is different.

The simplest thing would be to reuse the 1997 engine wiring harness on the 2000 and to swap the MAF, IAT and CMP sensors and the main intake tube.

I would swap the upper intake back in also. It might not fit the 2000 EGR though...

upper intake manifold

I would swap the upper intake back in also. It might not fit the 2000 EGR though...

I agree. Technically, the VIS seems like a performance enhancement although practically I doubt there is much of a measurable difference. I doubt that the EGR tube will be a problem.

97 vs 2000

Thanks for all the help with the 5R55E transmission found one out of a 2000 explore 143k truck was totaled hit in the rear so that brings me to my next question anyone tell me how much trouble is it to drop the 2000 Sohc in place of the 1997Sohc both are 4.0 V6. and if so what do i need to change to make it work i can buy motor and trans for 300 buck what a deal. Thanks for your help in advance.:exp:
So you guys are saying that it will interchange but do you know if the 97 intake will bolt back in place of the 2000 intake? srry but dont want to be stuck with a pig in the poke lol

Back