1997 Ford exploder XLT Alarm Will Randomly Go Off, Thoughts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Ford exploder XLT Alarm Will Randomly Go Off, Thoughts?

EvanCani1997

Reaction score
City, State
Eugene, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey everyone,
So recently (last month or so) my explorer alarm will randomly go off if i lock it with the fob or manually lock it from inside. The battery is about a year old and all the latches have ben replaced. Dome lights dont stay on so it isn't any of the doors opening on accident. I can't see to figure out what causes it to happen i have literally locked my car gotten a lawn chair and just watched my explorer until it randomly will start alarming. The only solution is to keep my doors unlocked (obviously not ideal) to prevent the alarm from going off in the middle of the night and waking up the entire neighborhood. If anyone has encountered this issue before how did you fix it? I have heard resetting the PCM might help so i will do that tonight to see if it changed anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hood switch?

Hood switch?

so ive heard a little about this, what exactly are you talking about? like the switch that detects if the hood is closed or not? because lately ive been driving around with my hood unpeopled but it will still go off randomly. but less frequently,
thanks!

Yes. There’s a switch to set the alarm off assuming someone might be trying to pull a battery cable.
Unpeopled? You mean unlatched?

Yes. There’s a switch to set the alarm off assuming someone might be trying to pull a battery cable. Unpeopled? You mean unlatched?
Yes. There’s a switch to set the alarm off assuming someone might be trying to pull a battery cable.
yes haha sorry autocorrect got me there. Thanks for the advice I’ll take a look at it!

Is this the same switch the is for opening up the hood? Or a different, specific part? Just trying to get the right part

Look on the right fender (US passenger side)

I saw this happen on an Eddie Bauer that was the result of the door closed switches - I found the one bad one just shorted it out as always closed and did the same to all 4 - I don’t think it ever happened again - I was lucky with it

Back