1998 Ford Explorer Rear Liftgate Locking/Unlocking Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Explorer Rear Liftgate Locking/Unlocking Issues

CynthiaK

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4L OHV
Hi,

I recently replaced the rear liftgate lock actuator as the old one would no longer unlock the liftgate.
Now when attempting to unlock the liftgate, sometimes it unlocks with one press of the button (in the vehicle) and sometimes it takes 2 or 3 presses. I do not have a remote.
Is it a faulty actuator or could there be something else wrong?

Thank-you!

How do the locks sound? Does it unlock with little effort using the key? Does it lock electrically with no issues?

The wiring harnesses have these weird splices in them that are conducive to corrosion. This causes a voltage drop in the circuit, making the actuators weak.

If the others are working well, I’d check voltage at the actuator connector while activating the lock/unlock button, and compare with the other doors.

Obviously a good lube of the linkages helps, too.

How do the locks sound? Does it unlock with little effort using the key? Does it lock electrically with no issues?

The wiring harnesses have these weird splices in them that are conducive to corrosion. This causes a voltage drop in the circuit, making the actuators weak.

If the others are working well, I’d check voltage at the actuator connector while activating the lock/unlock button, and compare with the other doors.

Obviously a good lube of the linkages helps, too.
Thank-you for the reply!
Voltage is good and lock/unlock now works great. A "good lube" did the trick.

Back