1998 Ford Explorer - sometimes the liftgate opens, sometime it doesn't | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Ford Explorer - sometimes the liftgate opens, sometime it doesn't

CynthiaK

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT 4L OHV
Hi,

Sometimes when I go to open the liftgate (rear door), the handle just squeezes forward, no resistance and it won't open, like it is locked but all the doors have been unlocked.

Other times, there is resistance and it opens.

If I play with the unlock/lock button on the drivers door or the one in the back of the vehicle, sometimes it helps other times it doesn't.

Sometimes if I lock the doors, the liftgate doesn't lock, other times it does.

Is there an actuator that controls the locking mechanism on the liftgate or is it controlled by the main switch on the driver's door?

Or is this even a locking issue?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi,

Sometimes when I go to open the liftgate (rear door), the handle just squeezes forward, no resistance and it won't open, like it is locked but all the doors have been unlocked.

Other times, there is resistance and it opens.

If I play with the unlock/lock button on the drivers door or the one in the back of the vehicle, sometimes it helps other times it doesn't.

Sometimes if I lock the doors, the liftgate doesn't lock, other times it does.

Is there an actuator that controls the locking mechanism on the liftgate or is it controlled by the main switch on the driver's door?

Or is this even a locking issue?

Thanks!
sometimes mine is like that in which the lock actuator doesnt completely move it and just tries to move it. next time it does that pop off the cover on the inside of the hatch and see if its in the unlock position and if not pull it and see. sometimes lock lock unlock unlock seems to work...ish...

First thing I'd try, next time it opens, is spray a lot of WD-40 into the mechanism and work the latch back and forth to free up grime and hardened grease, then follow up with a light spray grease (in a warmer climate) or heavy oil spray lube in a cold climate.

Otherwise, take the liftgate interior trim panel off and see what the linkage looks like, and if it's okay then you're in there to replace the latch mechanism.

First thing I'd try, next time it opens, is spray a lot of WD-40 into the mechanism
Works in my case
I did remove the lift gate trim panel and Basically flushed it with WD40 :)
I lift the gate open So that it can all drain on the ground not in the door
spray white lithium grease
a little!

Works in my case
I did remove the lift gate trim panel and Basically flushed it with WD40 :)
I lift the gate open So that it can all drain on the ground not in the door
spray white lithium grease
a little!
yep that works on mine too but after a bit the actuator succumbed to its age and now a new one is in and it works great

Back