1998 Popping noise front end when moving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Popping noise front end when moving

dajordan

Reaction score
What would intermittent popping noise indicate? Occurs at slow speeds when vehicle is moving - coming to a stop, turning, when the weight shifts. Does not pop when going over speed bumps, so torsion bar is ruled out.The popping noise sometimes occurs once, sometimes several pops. Cannot replicate the sound when vehicle is parked. Sway bar bushings are new and brakes have been serviced. Ball joints? CV joints?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The brakes were serviced recently, so caliper bolts are tight. I have not checked tie rod ends. It does not pop when accelerating, to my knowledge. The pop sound seems to be most audible at constant speeds, slowing to a stop, or turning.

Thank you for responses and ideas on a possible problem. Diagnosing this popping noise is difficult because the vehicle must be moving for it to occur. It seems it is on the left side. Several people have speculated on various defects, but it seems that a process of elimination will have to be utilized in order to remedy.

I have a 98 Sport 4wd w/ 100K on the clock. It's a California Truck and lived it's whole life here - so there is no rust or rust related issues. It is Factory Stock - No Lift Kit or Big Tires. It has the typical Ford PS Pump Whine, but so does every other Ford. The tires are religiously rotated every 5,000 Miles and the factory shocks were replaced at 53K. I just replaced all four sets of brake pads, and everything steering related looked and felt good.

About six months ago I heard the popping noise (and "felt" it lightly in the steering wheel) coming from somewhere in the front steering components, while at parking lot driving speeds.

* I first noticed hearing/feeling the "popping" when the truck was Moving & Turning LEFT into my carport - before applying the brakes.

Now, six months later, I still only hear the popping noise at parking lot speeds, BUT can add that now I occasionally hear the popping noise when the truck is:

* running and stationary on flat ground,
* my foot is off the brakes,
* and I am turning the wheel to the left and right.
* To clarify - I can both hear and feel 2 to 4 "pops" , when turning the wheel left or right, with the steering wheel is beginning it's L/R rotation from the dead center - straight ahead position.

I'm trying to run this down - and want to do it smart - i.e. not throw $$$ at it.

As far as having the problem with the vehicle not moving and having the noise occur I've read possibilities such as:

Tie rod ends

Steering Rack

Steering "Intermediate" Shafts

Front CV Halfshafts

Front Wheel Hubs/Bearings.

Regards,
FD

Slip yoke needs re-greased?? Do a search on slip yoke, see if symptoms describe your problem. Very easy to do. Major symptoms are popping or "thump" when taking off or coming to a stop.

mine has thiss problem when you turn the wheel on way there is a little stop to keep it from moving any farther and when it touches and the suspension flexes (going up a driveway and such) metal to metal contact under pressure makes a popping-clicking noise

Slip yoke needs re-greased?? Do a search on slip yoke, see if symptoms describe your problem. Very easy to do. Major symptoms are popping or "thump" when taking off or coming to a stop.

Lizard, I believe that my REAR slip yoke needs greasing, because I can hear a "different tone" click/pop from the REAR of the truck when starting from a dead stop.

With that said, from what I've read and heard I believe that Slip Yokes only "click" or "pop" ONCE/One Time when starting from a dead stop.

Add to that I am feeling the "popping" through the steering wheel (Dead Stop and Slow/Parking Lot Speeds).

If I was hearing/feeling One (1) pop/click through the steering wheel - I'd think that it must be the FRONT slip-joint.

But I am hearing AND feeling two (2) to four (4) "pops" through the steering wheel, while at a dead stop. The amount of "pops/clicks" is related to how much I turn the steering wheel.

Thanks for you help!
FD

mine has thiss problem when you turn the wheel on way there is a little stop to keep it from moving any farther and when it touches and the suspension flexes (going up a driveway and such) metal to metal contact under pressure makes a popping-clicking noise

LWRDXSPORT -

I know the noise you are talking about - when you have the Ex. at full Left or Right Steering Lock, and AT THE SAME TIME the Explorer suspension is moving up and down, you can get a gnarley metal-to-metal noise from the ft. end "bump stops" (for lack of better words). No - it's not that noise. I heard that you can put grease in the bump stop channels to tone down the nastiness.

Thanks for your help,
FD

My "short list" from past experiences of knocking noises included: 1). Knock which presented itself only when slowing down , (sounded like someone hitting the underside once with a rubbet mallet) eventually changed to happening when taking off and slowing down = slip yoke. 2). Knock which was only heard when I would sit in the vehicle for the first time every morning = resolved after six months of Ultra Slim Fast diet:D. Actually, was coming from excessive clearance on inner tie rod. 3). Knocking noise heard at slow speeds when going over bumps = front stabilizer bar end links. 4.) Knocking noise only present when I would rock the vehicle back and forth. Would continue on for a few seconds after rocking action stopped. Had me puzzled for 15 minutes = fluids sloshing around in coolant and washer reservoirs. Doh!:confused:
You can try climbing under and have someone rock the ever-living crap out of the vehicle, then start grabbing onto suspension parts; tie rods, ball joints, etc. Sometimes you can feel the bumping before you can hear it. If nothing, then probably coming from a drive line component.
I'm still going with the slip yoke.

--Lizard

Edit: Oops, scratch the slip yoke.....I just read your last post to me more closely. Could possibly be very dry tie rod ends, or even the inner tie rods. Really a shot-in-the-dark without some 'hands-on.' If the "popping" can be felt while turning the wheel from a dead stop, then you're in good shape from a troubleshooting standpoint. Just climb under and have an assistant turn the wheel. Start grabbing onto components. You'll find the offending part.

its most likely your cv axels, it sounds like a clicking noise- more so when sharp, low speed turns... i work at a ford dealer and i myself have replaced all cvs in 3 freestar minivans... they just seem to go bad and click. a good test to confirm is to go in an open parking lot, come to a stop, turn to lock all the way to lock, and gas it. if it goes clickclicklclick its the cvs..

The longer I work on cars, the more I learn to go for the simple things first...

This weekend I worked in a Quite Garage, lifted the front end, and I believe/hope that I have "traced" the "popping" steering noise down.

OK - I've read quite a bit about the Lower Steering Shaft Universal Joint binding and/or getting very sloppy. This u-joint attaches to the input shaft of the Steering Rack and is covered by a rubber boot (so you can't physically see the u-joint).

In short, the Explorer Steering Wheel transmits ALL of it's L/R motions through a tiny universal joint that hooks directly up to the Steering Rack (rack and pinion).

Take into account that the steering universal joint is in the engine compartment (hot environment) and you can see how after 10 yrs they can go bad (dry up their lubricant grease) - despite being covered by a rubber "boot."

So I grabbed the lower steering shaft, slightly above the rubber boot, and when I pulled up/down and left/right I felt about 3/8 - 1/2 inch of play - followed by a distinctive "pop" - the same pop as I HEAR and FEEL through the steering wheel!

I am guessing that at a minimum, I should not be able to feel any l/r up/down play in the lower steering universal joint - Correct??????????

So, with this in mind, I am going to start with replacing the lower steering shaft (that connects to the r&P) first. I want to purchase a new one - so I'll start w/ FORD - and siut down when placing that call to the Parts Department.

I'll report back and let everyone how this turns out -

Regards,
Fast Dave

PS to Patrick:

With the truck in the air, I grabbed both the Left and Right side CV Axel's and could not detect any up/down of forward/reverse play or slop.

Also, when the truck was in the air, I took turns turning the front wheels full lock, and when they were full lock I rotated - by hand - the front wheels as if they were traveling down the road. While doing this "test," I could not hear/feel anything out of the ordinary from the CV Axel's or Wheel Bearings.

I have that same popping sound in the front end of my truck. It goes away when I engage the front end. Would it be the axles up front? Or something else. Been going on since I acquired the truck about 2 years ago. We have replaced both front and rear u-joints on the main drive axle. When I did the brakes spring of '10 I noticed a little grease around where the axle comes through the hub in the rear on the passenger side. I pull a boat with it during the summer and really love my truck, but if I can't find the solution to the "bump", then I may have to sell it. I'm certain it's an easy or common sense fix. I would mind having an Expedition though :)

I have a "popping" noise as well. Mine occurs when I am decelerating. I have a 2004 ford explorer v6.

I have a popping noise when I hit any bumps, and if I drive down a straight road and cut the wheel back and forth it will pop. I can barely feel it in the floor board of the drivers side and have put new upper and lower ball joints, new sway bar mounts and bushings and tie rod ends are good. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back