• Register Today It's free!

1999 5.0L dual exhaust options

os1kne

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
What are my options for cat-back dual-exhaust on a 1999 XLT with a 5.0?

Do any aftermarket companies (Borla, etc.) make cat-back dual exhaust kits for this vehicle?

or - Would I be best off to find a local muffler shop to "build" me a custom cat-back system?

Would there be much benefit to adding headers?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know, there is no company that makes duals for an explorer. There are several people on the board, including myself, that have duals and we all had it custom made. I used a flowmaster 50 series SUV dual in/dual out muffler. It gives it a very nice sounding rumble at idle and it sounds powerful when I'm on the gas. I would recomend duals to anyone. Just check a few shops and look at some of the work they have done. You will need someone that will take the time to do the job right to get the drivers side pipe in the correct way. As far as headers... maybe someone else can answer that one for you. I think you would benefit from them with a V8 if you have an intake. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for the reply. I do have a KKM intake.

It looks like Flowmaster makes 2 types of 50 series dual in/dual out mufflers - delta and non-delta. Does anyone know if the difference is only sound related (delta looks to be quieter) or if there is a performance difference as well? Thanks.

if you want to drive to miami i can have a custome dual exhaust done for you all mandrel bent with any muffler you want any ways you want.

blk mk8, My mom is selling my truck so, I'll pry end up with a 2002 Explorer w/ 4.6. (or a used Saleen Explorer if we can find one), would you be able to do duals on the 2002 b/c everytime I look at it, it looks like theres not enough room.

Back