1999 Explorer 4.0 OHV Camshaft Synchronizer Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer 4.0 OHV Camshaft Synchronizer Replacement

gmarchlewicz

Reaction score
City, State
Rockford Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 2x4 4.0 OHV
Well, I read through a lot of threads here and appreciate all of the great advice all have shared. I hope to give back soon. I've a noisy camshaft synchronizer and ordered a new one off of ebay. I took the upper intake manifold off, cleaned it out, and set it aside. I am also going to replace the seals/ gaskets while I am at it if I can find them. I went to Autozone, Pep Boys, and O'Reilly. Nobody has just the three little rubber seals. Any advice where to find them? I actually brought the manifold with me to show them. They had no clue. All they could sell me was a complete set of gaskets at $90 dollars. Anyway, back to my main question. Inside the Synchronizer is a half moon that rotates around the perimeter of the synchronizer's "Side Wall". Currently, my old synchronizer is still in place. I took a digital picture just in case. Now, I never set my engine cylinder # 1 position to "Top Dead Center" because I have no clue what that means. I'm figuring this out as I go along. I would imagine that top dead center would put the "Half Moon" inside the sychronizer in line with the largest notch in the synchronizer's side wall. The tool that came with my new synchronizer essentially just lines up the half moon perfectly in the center of the large side wall notch. With that said, can I somehow manually rotate the engine to put that notch perfectly in line with the half moon? I have the engine all torn down at this point with the battery disco'd. Does it make sense to do this? I would think I could then just drop the new synchronizer in as long as those two reference points's positions are identical between the new and old synchronizers. Also keeping in mind that the position of the engine hasn't moved.
index.cfm

When I did this on our 96, I rotated the engine to top dead center (for cyl #1). Put the alignment tool on the new cam shaft syncronizer and installed it. I do not see a problem with installing the new one in the same position as the old one as long as the engine was not rotated as stated above. Just make sure you get this lined up in the proper postion. I beleive this tells the injector when to squirt.

I can not help wiht the seals. Did you check with Ford?

Back