TSTONE

Giddy up!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Oakland County, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer
I'm posting for a friend - he replaced the clutch (using a kit - plate/disc/bearing - complete) on a 99 2wd ford ranger (using aftermarket clutch) all went well, about 1 month later the vehicle is hard to shift into initial gear, the clutch pedal relases very quickly and has to go all the way to the floor to get into other gears - Are there any adjustments that can be made the the clutch or pedal??? Has anyone else run into this problem and might have some advice. A buddy of mine has a simular 99 ranger replaced clutch on his different aftermarket part and is having a simular issue and both already tried to bleed the system a few times with no imporvments.

Thanx
T
:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanx for the input - i did find a different bleeding procedure on here that i'm going to try

but any other advise would surely be appreciated

when I first swapped in my 5speed the connection to the slave wasn't great and I had a very slight leak here which would cause a similar prob.
I changed that hose and all is well.

there is no adjustment with a hydraulic clutch it is regulated by the slave and master cylinders bleeding is about all you can do. Did the slave cylinder get replaced with the clutch?

the only bleeding that has been done is the clutch master cylinder

how do you bleed the slave valve

Ttt

You bleed it like brakes, there's a bleeder valve on the side of the trans, where the clutch line goes in.
Do a search for "bleed slave", it's been written up better than I can explain it. ;)

To add to all that has been written here, on some years you need to remove the master cylinder from the firewall and rotate it slightly to get all the air out. The angle that it is mounted on can make it impossible to get all the air our of the master cylinder when bleeding.

BTW.. did your friend replace his slave cylinder when he did the clutch repair? if not, he may be in for another tranny drop. Those slaves tend to wear out at about the same interval as the clutches.

Back