1st gen clutch hose interchange ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st gen clutch hose interchange ?

chevyh8ter

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 ford explorer
Hello, I'm doing a 4.0L clutch swap in my 90 Bronco II.
I already know I need to match to the same year slave and master cylinder hose because the ends are slightly different. Out of all the slave cylinders for Explorers the 93+ are the only ones I can find with a boot/dust cover.
Since the body design appears to be the same between 91-94 Explorers, I'm hoping the 93-94 clutch hose will route around my 90 BII body curves just as well. . Just needing to know if the under body for 93-94 is any different or why the 93-94 hose looks different than the 91-92 models.
Thanks for any help !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think it would be long enough...
In what way does later hose look different?

[/URL]

Sorry, I tried to upload these yesterday without any luck. Anyway, as you can see the later 1st gen Explorer hose (1993-1994) has a metal master cylinder insert tube. Another funny aspect is the 93+ slave is used up until the last of the Rangers in 2006 or when ever.

Huh.
First, I've done enough online parts shopping to know that the photo isn't always exactly accurate. Whether it is in this case, I don't know.
FWIW, my 93 Ranger (4.0, m5od) doesn't have a hose that looks like either of those. Mine has a hard plastic line going to the master, but not with that 90 degree metal fitting. Mine has a roll pin that gets tapped out to disconnect from master.
Are you going with a 93+ slave? And a corresponding 93+ master? I would think if you get the "right" hose to match the parts years, you would be good to go. Have you looked to see how the Ranger hose compares? Or is it the same part # as Explorers?

I'll be using a stock Bronco II / Ranger master cylinder with the 93+ slave and 93+ hose. I'm pretty sure the one with the metal is the correct hose for a 93-94 Explorer, as I've read other peoples threads that mention it. Of course the other picture is a stock B2/Ranger hose. The more I look at that picture I can tell its about the same shape. That picture looks as if the flexible hose is just bent giving an illusion of being completely different shape. I believe its possible it could have a tad bit more length, maybe for body lift. :dunno:

Yeah, the top pic threw me for a loop at first, until I realized they just have the slave end pulled up next to the master end.

Back