1st gen steering box qestion?

backfrmcolorado

Reaction score
City, State
Commerce Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie B explod*****
hey all,

my 94 X has almost 300,000 miles on it and you can really tell it in the steering. ive recently replaced all steering componets except pump, lines, and steering box. it has a lot of "slop" driving down the road still. the steering box is the problem. i was wondering iff there is a rebuild kit, a way to tighten it up or if i should just get a new steering box.

its just getting old driving down the road and always turning the wheel 1/8th turn left and right just to keep it straight...not to mention it looks like im a drunk driving down the road.

thanks....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rock auto sells a rebuild kit under steering gear rebuild. probably 50bucks with shipping. and a "new" steering box would just be a rebuilt old one anyway.

should be an adjustment up top. Allen Key and Wrench should be all that needed. Loosen the nut ( jamnut) , tighten down on the Allen key a bit and tighten the nut again.

See if that gets rid of some play

Also double check the steering shaft and rag joint between the firewall and the steering box.

Those rag joints wear and fall apart and the slip joint can get very sloppy too.

~Mark

thanks guys. i thought thats what i seen on how to tighten the steering box. ill check the steering shaft and ragjoint tomorrow in the morning. the rebuild kit is probly what ill do. A new one looks to be about $150-$300 depending on part cost and core charge. i also think ill be needing a whole new/used steering colum. The one i have now kinda squeeks and makes a knocking noise on fast turns of the wheel hard right and left. anny thoughts on what that could be or if maybe an easy /cheap fix

thanks again....

Back