1st to 2nd gen shift motor? Wiring? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st to 2nd gen shift motor? Wiring?

Nedwreck

Reaction score
City, State
Kentucky, Y'all!
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 xlt, '92 4x4
My '92X shift motor isn't repairable (broken magnets, little screws broken in housing).

If I swipe a shift motor from a '95, and splice the '92 harness connectors to it (going by the wire colors)...

Will it work right?

(I assume so... just checking with ya'll on this!)

TIA!

You may be right.

It does mount up, and has the same number of wires and colors to match. Connectors are different of course. The cover for the rotor with the electric sensor disk is plastic vs. metal.

I'm getting the feeling I outta just open it up (the 95 shift motor) and check it all over vs. the 92 unit. Hopefully somebody will chime in before I go out in the cold. Brrr...

if it mounts up and your still concerned about the operation see if the contact plate is interchangeable.The rest of it is basicly just an electric motor,there's no difference between them.the only thing that would concern me is if the contacts let the shaft turn too far or too little but changing the plate would solve that if it fits.and the two wires off the back of the motor would go in the same place ,just cut and splice those.

Back