1st to 2nd problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1st to 2nd problem

92greenexplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 xlt
i cant seam to find the problem i lubed up the slip yoke and change the trany mount and noting. when the trany shifts from 1st to 2nd it thumps like a bad mount but only in thoes gears what could it be

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your motor mounts, Trans/Tcase mount (if 4x4), Check trans fluid and condition. Check driveshaft u-joints. ;) How many miles on the X?

Check Motor Mounts, crossmember bushings, Exhaust clearance, leaf spring bushungs, U-joints, Ubolts on the axle, slack in the rear end(ring&pinion), body mounts, is your spare tire tight against the frame?(or did they put it inside in those years like some of the BIIs), ...etc.

Is is 4X4?

If yes check slack in the tranny case, ft ujoints, slack in the ft end, I-Beam bushings and Ball joints... ( I know these are reaching, I would think if it was in the ft you would have mentioned that)

Its hard to say with any certainty with the lack of information given, but I hope this helps.

More info! :dunno: :help:

Daniel

if i jack the rear of the truck up and the tires are of the ground the drive shaft twistes about a half inch befor the wheels start to spin it has l/s and would that only do it betwean 1st and 2nd

Youd most likely feel that when putting it in gear or going from R to D....

Possible youd feel it from 1st to 2nd, but youd feel it before then as mentioned before.

Alittle slack in a rear end is fine... hard to say if its excessive or not without guaging the ring and pinion.

How many RPMS is it getting to before the shift? Is it shifting hard? Have you had issues/or adjusted the kickdown cable?

Daniel

i did to the kick down caple but noting it shift abou 2 2500 when it does it the most

i put as new motor mount and trany mount in and it still moves about a 1/2 inch when it shifts hard i have to do the passenger side nex thatone seam harder to do is that normal movement

Back