2.8 to 4.0, Motor Mount and gas tank Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.8 to 4.0, Motor Mount and gas tank Question

1BadRS

Reaction score
City, State
Pinehurst, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 and 90 Bronco II's
I have a 84 Bronco II with the 2.8 that I'd like to install a 4.0 into. Does the 4.0 use the same motor mount location that my 2.8 sits in now? I see a lot on the 2.9 to 4.0 but not much on the 2.8 to the 4.0.

Also, I know my gas tank doesn't currently have a electric pump just the pick up tube. Can I still use my tank but just buy an assembly from a 2.9 V6 or is it different sizes where I need the whole tank and pump assembly? Or do people leave the tank and pick up assembly alone and just install an inline electric pump?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When the original gas tank on my 85 rusted out I replaced it with a newer one from a fuel injected Bronco II.The hole for the fuel pickup/pump was a lot bigger than my original and I ended up cutting the mounting ring off the fuel injected pickup and attaching it to my carbed version to make it fit.I can't imagine being able to fit a Ford electric pump into the stock 84 gas tank.

Looks like I would just end up getting a whole setup out of the fuel injected truck instead of trying to work with what I currently have.

Anybody on the motor mounts? I know on the 2.9 the 4.0 drops right into place but not sure that is the same for the 2.8

I eventually want to swap in a 4.0 so I figured I might as well just work with the newer tank.I don't know about the mounts, I noticed however that on the Rockauto website the 84-85 2.8 mounts are a different number than the 2.9-4.0 ones.

I did the 2.9-> 4.0 swap and used the same motor mounts. I think the 2.8 uses the same mounts but I'm not 100%.

Ideally you would find a complete donor truck that was in an accident or just completely rusted out. The swap is much easier if you have the complete wiring harness to work with. My BII is an 88 and I just swapped the entire in tank assembly over from the donor (94' Explorer.) Fit just right.

you simply bolt the 2.8 brackets to the 4.0 block. Passenger side bracket has an "ear" on the front end that you need to trim off. engine mounts on frame are 2.8 specific. fuel system, used correct sending unit for the BII (86, I believe. there is a change in Ohm scale), 1st gen "X" pump, existing fuel line to supply engine, ran new for return. had to use a tank from an 85 and newer because of size of sending unit opening. 84 is 1 year only, small opening.

In the middle of the exact swap. I had to use the 4.0 mounts or the oil pan wouldn't have cleared the cross member. Anything you can help with in regards to wiring would be much appreciated. have the harness out and working on the same fuel system issues. Bought parts for 88-89 including the new single pump, so we'll see.

Back