2000 computer,PATS,guages into 1986 Bronco | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 computer,PATS,guages into 1986 Bronco

got2go2fast

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
Not explorer, Bronco
Hi, I don't have an Explorer, sorry, but I do have a 1986 5.0 EFI Bronco that I am swapping the intake and heads from a 2000 Mountianeer onto and may make the swap from AOD/1345 to whatever was in the Mountaineer if I can get the whole thing to work right.

My problem lies in the integration of the computer into my truck and think I can do it since I have the keys and all the related PATS parts including reciever, the guage cluster (or multi unit whatever blah blah) and was curious if anybody had already done something similar?

I also need to know if the computer will work properly at operating the engineeven though it will not be connected to a trans or t-case?

Where can I find pinouts for this computer also?

I also have a 1997 computer and intake/heads giong onto a 65 stang, but that should be failry straight forward provided the transmission disconnection is not an issue with proper engine operation on this one too.

I hope this is not too much for a first time poster! Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I forgot to mention I am not worried about mounting the guages or anything asthetic and I already realize the pcm plugs are not the same. I have been lurking over at fordfuelinjection.com for a year or so now and am getting pretty anxious about doing some EFI swapping on some of my toys.

I am also interested in learning about computer flashing and about the "tables" or whatever can be manipulated within the PCM to turn on or off certain functions of the computer and how the guys use occiliscopes to "read" or hack the PCMs'. Burning chips is also something I want to start doing as that seems to be were the real fun is these days so any pointers into the right direction would be greatly appreciated, Thanks again you guys and gals.

I think your best option is to use an aftermarket tuner like an x-cal 3 to disable the pats system and transmission functions.

Hi and thanks. I have looked into those handheld tuners but those are VIN locking and I need something I can use on ALL my ford V8 toys, almost 20 cars, trucks, boats, and buggies from the early 60's to an '08 Mustang GT. I have looked at EECtuner and twEECer and some others but still a little confused as I can find tons of introductory material about EFI and the Ford EEC (IV and V) in particular and quite a bit of advanced information but nothing that is intermediate to help me make the connections.

I have browsed the EECTuner manual, http://www.allfordmustangs.com/techa...CTuner_FAQ.pdf ,and it SEEMS to be what I am looking for but now I can't find info on how to connect the computer to the EEC. I have found places that sell cables (adld?) but I cannot find anything that is a "how to" article on efi tuning, you know like the articles on how to build and engine, they are a dime a dozen but no similar tuning article that I can find.

I guess what I am saying is I can find lots of inforamtion out there but I am having a tough time putting all the disparate info together into something holistic. It seems the people who know don't want anybody else to know.

Yes I know that I can really damage an engine by playing with the tune when I don't know what I am doing but that same thing was true back in the'80s when I started to learn about carb tuning; jets, dashpots, springs, diaphrams, timing advance, etc. so I am prepared to do some damage and fully expect too in the learning process. please don't try to persuade me not to get involved in efi tuning like I have seen on so many other boards. I have become bored with my toys and efi is a way to spice things up for me as I get older, better than a mistress if you know what I mean.

2000 5.0 PCM pinout

I scanned the pages of interest but had to reduce them to fit the attachment limits. If you can't read them then PM me your email address and I'll email you the full size scans.
PCM50pg1.jpg

PCM50pg2.jpg

PCM50pg3.jpg

Ford PCM source code

Ford is less open than other manufacturers about how their PCM proprietary software functions. If you're serious about learning how the PCM works and are willing to spend the time I suggest that you do a Google search for "CRAI8". It's the strategy documentation for the 1998 Mustang GT and Cobra. It's in PDF format and is over 8,000 pages long. Modules for specific models are selected and then compiled into an executable that is loaded into the PCM.

Streetrod, THANKS! Just by typing in "CRAI8" at google brought up several more aites I had not found before. WHY? I don't know because I always looked up "eec tuning" and thier websites clearly have "EEC" all over it. Must be my google settings as this has happened before where a friends computer has given me different results for the exact same entry. I had spent most of the dasy browsing the new sites the new search brought to light. I am currently reading every page on this, sitehttp://www.eecperformance.com/tuning101_pt1.html , and gleaning quite a bit of info that is really helping me make sence of things where fordfuelinjection.com and so many books I have read left off. Binarys and stragety were not discussed in too much detail in most of the literature I had found thus far. keep it coming, any key words you guys can think off will really help me. I had found binary files at some site before but was lost as to exactly what to do with this stuff and how to access it and now I think that is one of the sites that is no longer an active site in my favorites list.

Thanks again streetrod and I really appreciate the pinout information. I am learning to build webpages the old fashioned way so I intend to build a page on my site that may be a little more user friendly and all encompassing from novice to tuner as soon as I get started and begin to understand this stuff more clearly and to document my progress as well as provide mirror sites of all the info I have collected from the web and books.

What programs do some of you guys use, I have been wanting to buy/download a free program for some time now but with money tight, I can't waste any on a crappy program and I have heard/read good and bad about all of them so I don't know who to believe. The one thing I don't like (only because it becomes cost prohibitive with the number I would have to buy for all my toys) is the board from Moates or twEEcer and some of the others. I had heard of going throught he OBD2 port on later EECs' but can't really find much about that either other than this is where the dealer does its updgrades. I am excited and rambling, sorry.

MORE INFO, must ... have .....more .......info.............gasp*

Back