2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer 4.0 SOHC

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa,Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mercury Mountaineer
I am looking seriously at a low mileage (80,000 Miles)2000 Explorer XLT with a 4.0 L SOHC engine.I have had a 1998 Mercury Mountaineer with a V/8 for the past 8 years ,it is a 5.0 AWD with 165,000 Miles on it .I have had no major failings with only oil and fluid changes and regular maintenance.
My question is what are your thoughts on the 4.0 V/6 with a proper transfer case.I have had so few problems with the 5.0 and am a little nervous about the V/6.
Any input would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

Intake gaskets & timing chains

I am looking seriously at a low mileage (80,000 Miles)2000 Explorer XLT with a 4.0 L SOHC engine. . . . My question is what are your thoughts on the 4.0 V/6 with a proper transfer case.I have had so few problems with the 5.0 and am a little nervous about the V/6.
Any input would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

Leaking intake manifold gaskets resulting in cold weather start up engine rev and lean condition codes is common.

Left and right timing chain guide failure and front timing chain tensioner failure can happen as early as 45,000 miles. Right timing chain guide failure requires pulling engine for repair. Replacement of all timing chain components can cost as little as $1500 from a mechanic and as much as $4000 from the dealer.

5R55E transmission is not nearly as robust as the 4R70W in your 98 Explorer.

Leaking intake manifold gaskets resulting in cold weather start up engine rev and lean condition codes is common.

Left and right timing chain guide failure and front timing chain tensioner failure can happen as early as 45,000 miles. Right timing chain guide failure requires pulling engine for repair. Replacement of all timing chain components can cost as little as $1500 from a mechanic and as much as $4000 from the dealer.

5R55E transmission is not nearly as robust as the 4R70W in your 98 Explorer.

And that is exactly why I bought my 2000 with a 5.0.After reading all of the horror stories about the 4.0 sohc I wouldn't take one as a gift.The only way I would consider it would be if the seller has proof he has done the timing chain work.If not forget it unless you have the bucks to fix it.:D

Back