• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer CV Axle Question

Mikey98Ex5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer 5.0
Hello, working on my brothers 2000 Explorer. I noticed this seal appears to be not seated correctly. This is how it looked when I took the hub off. What exactly is this seal for? I haven’t seen one like it before on a CV axle. Is it some kind of hub seal? And would it require a new axle if the seal is wrecked?

DC294F06-7CE7-4592-9476-88562695C942.jpeg

AF6F5D0B-7208-4072-944B-242A64EEDF45.jpeg

E530758C-D958-4922-A13C-4D4D309301C0.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That seal is just a dust seal. It's attached onto the large outer housing end of the axle, and it doesn't need to touch that metal(gold colored) steel plate/insert you see there. All that seal does is keep as much debris from reaching the inner hub bearing seal, as possible.

I wasn't sure what it was in 2004 when I replaced my first hubs. The Autozone CV axles I got then didn't have those dust seals on them. I think the rest I've bought all had them. I found the dust seals from Ford, but it took some time to identify them. Different parts books call them different things.

If the truck isn't driven in a harsh environment, off road in lots of water etc, it'll be okay to leave it as it is until the next time axles have to be R&R'd. Finding those dust seals and the time to get them, might be longer than you want to spend. A couple of mine had almost worn away, the seal is large behind there, and rubbing against the metal plate wore(melted) it out. The seal shouldn't touch that metal plate, it should just be close to it. The seals are tight on the axle housing, but they can be moved with effort if needed.

Suspension05.JPG

It's that large black seal seen on the end of my axle above. It's about 3" large, the inner part has a metal ring and holds onto the axle housing. The rest of the seal is all rubber, soft and the outer edge us what sets close to the spindle, inside of the steel piece which the hub is up against in the spindle.

Dust seal on CV axle.jpg

Got it, thanks for the replies!! Got it put back together after replacing the hub and it still sounds pretty crumby though so I’ll have to figure out what else it could be.

Solving those sounds or roughness can be hard, more than one part can create those symptoms. My first trouble was in 2003, Christmas day, a horrible rough feeling and a bearing type of noise. Two hubs and one CV axle didn't fix it. I then removed the front driveshaft, and it was smooth again. The CV joint of the driveshaft was going bad, but the boot was fine.

So check the fluids, the front diff is best to service when the left front wheel is off, to fill it or check the level. You can't rely on just where the symptom sounds like it's from, you have to hunt harder for it. The CV axles can go bad without the boot being split open. What were the symptoms, when did they begin, and for how many miles since then?

Back