2000 explorer eddie bauer rpm gague prob | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 explorer eddie bauer rpm gague prob

darnallj

Reaction score
City, State
Benton, Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 explorer eddie bauer
I noticed today on my 2000 explorer the rpm gauge is sporadic it might read 2900 rpms at 75mph then jump to almost 4000 rpms but the engine is not making any changes the problem can be momentairly resolved by tapping on the plastic in front of the gague any idea how I could resolve this without changing the cluster

Remove the tach from the cluster and possibly have it rebuilt. But that's way out. You should find out what the PCM is saying the RPM's are. This will be something that must be performed with a Scan Tool. But it will tell you what the Computer is telling the Tach to display. if that's erratic, you can head towards finding that problem. Normally, it's a gauge problem, if there are no other drivability problems. You can have the gauge rebuilt at speedo shops, if you don't want to buy a new cluster.

gauge

I doubt it is anything but the tacj since you can tap it and it goes back to normal for a min or so and am having no other problems with the vehcile if i change the cluster what do you do about the mileage i currently have 44560 can you set that or not

When i used to work for a Pontiac Dealership, what we had to do was send in a Notarized Statement that had the mileage and date on it. The parts warehouse / manufacturer of the Speedo would set the mileage there at their shop, and we got the cluster with the correct mileage already there.

You really start talking about big bucks when you want to change the entire cluster. if you would like to replace it, you can just replace the Tach. If you can leave the Speedo alone, do it. It only makes things more complicated...

Back