2000 Explorer smoke from steering column | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Explorer smoke from steering column

SOHCEXP

Reaction score
City, State
Osceola WI.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
Has anyone else herd of this trouble.
When I turn on the left signal smoke will start to come out of the steering column right by the emergency flasher switch. I have stopped using the truck and need help to fix it I'm afraid it will start a fire so I have it parked in the yard for now. Please help this is my wife’s car and with 7 month old twin girls I don't want here driving it.

Thanks
SOHCEXP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a fairly common problem. You need a new multi-function switch. It's the turn signal/wiper switch. I think they cost around $55?

Thanks for the quick response
Can I change the switch or does it have to go to the dealer (air bag).
Should I worry about a fire?

Thanks
SOHCEXP

Just looking for some answers to my previous questions.
Thanks

I believe people on here have been changing them themselves without much trouble. I don't know the procedure to change it, but taking the airbag off if you have to is not much trouble. Try searching for multi-function switch and you may find more information.

For $6-$10 bucks you can purchase a Factory Shop Manual on CD on ebay and find out anything you ever wanted to know about replacing parts like the multi-function switch. I have a CD and investigated this same replacement since mine smokes too. Have not done yet though, but plan to. Just to eliminate the worry. Another fire problem is the cruise control cutoff switch on the master brake cylinder.

A good place to purchase parts is Rockauto.com. They have the multi-function switch for less than $60. A company discount at a local ford dealer is also a good way to get parts cheap. My dealership gives employees of my company a 40% discount on parts. I didn't even know about the discount until a ford dealership employee told me. If you work for a big company in your town and they do business with a ford dealership, chances are good for a discount.

I've got a multifunction switch off a 92. Don't know if they are the same though. Not everything changed over the years, just don't know what yours looks like. As far as changing it. Disconnect the battery, then go into the column. Haynes manual was decent for mine (92), but not the best. My problem turned out to be loose wires, not the switch itself. (headlight flicker on low beams, worked fine on high).

Back