2000 ford explorer sport and 1998 ford explorer xlt rear axle question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 ford explorer sport and 1998 ford explorer xlt rear axle question

xvertigox

Reaction score
City, State
sleepy hollow, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Whats up guys. I need a new rear axle for my 1998 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L engine. The truck is stock, and i had an accident a while back and my entire rear axle is "bent like a pretzel" according to my mechanic.

I found a guy around me who is willing to sell me a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport for 400 bucks to use parts. He claims that the 2000 Sport's rear and front axles should fit my 1998 XLT v8 without problems.

Will the axle indeed fit? Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the rear end from the 2000 sport will fit but you need to make sure it has the same gear ratio as the one in your 1998.

Is your '98 AWD or 2wd? If it's 2wd then the axle ratio isn't critical but it will throw your speedometer off if it's not the same.

98 is the AWD.

the guy said the 2000 has a 3.73 ratio, i know a junk yard woudl have the piece for cheap but i need some body parts too, ie a bumper left side fender and possibly salvage some other minor parts

The sport axle may not have the axle mounts for the V8 anti-wrap bars. They keep the axle from twisting the leaf springs mounted above the axle on the ends.

Back