• Register Today It's free!

2000 XLS No Headlights!

Delonybro

Reaction score
City, State
Abilene, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS 2WD
Driving tonight with High Beams on, all of a sudden the Headlights stop working. No Hi Beams, no driving lamps, no fog lamps. The Hi Beam indicator is on, however, no matter how I move the switch or pull back as if to flash the Hi's, nothing will turn the indicator off or turn on my lights. Limped home about 30 miles on the auxiliary fogs:mad::mad:. So far I have:

Checked all fuses/relays
Turned the main headlight switch on/off several times
Disconnected/Reconnected battery

Any other ideas? About 2 months ago my multifunction switch burnt up and caused my brake lights to stop working so I replaced the switch. Maybe the new switch is bad/something burned it up again?? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the dimmer switch... Mine gave me trouble a while back, same kinda problem. Mine still acts up but only on the interior/dash lights now. I really need to replace it:rolleyes:

Multifunction switch, it happened to me

Thanks for the quick replies, I'll swap out the MF switch...AGAIN and see if it fixes this issue. :rolleyes:

If you have no highs, then its most likely your MFS and not your headlight switch. And since it was recently replaced, check the connector to ensure that it is in place... use a meter to check for voltage in and out.

Update

ok, replaced MFS with brand new, still having the problem. Things to note.

When headlight switch is turned to just running lights, then it doesn't show my highs to be on and when i "flash" the highs, while the lights don't come on, the fogs turn off like they're supposed to as if the highs were on.

When i turn the headlight switch to headlight position, that's when it tells me my high beams are on even though I get zero headlight (hi or low) and moving the MFS doesn't affect the hi-beam indicator on the dash.

Next stop the headlight switch? Any other ideas?

dumb question.... did you check your bulbs????? you wouldn't happen to have DRL option?

Bulbs are great and no DLR on car.

did you check the circuit breaker for the lights they are supposed to auto reset

thanks for the extra "info".... OK, as suggested, did you check for voltage coming into the MFS and leaving???? (especially IN on DB/O).

PS. as for the light switch... unless the 2K is wired different... your brights don't there.... cause if they did then you would not get your "flash" function at your MFS with your light switch off.

Back