2001 Explorer Sport Spark Plug Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport Spark Plug Problems

OneBadExpSport

Reaction score
City, State
Orange County, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
This made me really upset. I bought the Bosch Platinum +2 spark plugs and put them in my explorer with about 80,000 miles. It ran HORRIBLE. Apparently Ford's don't take Bosch spark plugs very well...so WHY the hell are they selling them to me. This created a load of other problems as I tried to figure the problem out. I damaged my spark plug wires so I had to purchase new ones. I then changed back to my factory spark plugs but one was cracked. When connected I would notice sparks coming out of the spark plug wire / spark plug connection. The explorer would still run, but very rough and without much power. The check engine light soon went on. I checked the spark plug connection and sparks were no longer coming out of it. Did I break something else driving with only 5 cylinders running? I've recently changed that one spark plug to the same Bosch but the car is still running rough, but it seems a little better. After disconnecting the battery, the Check engine light disappeared, but it did take a few days for the first check engine light to come on.

Secondly, what spark plugs should I buy? I wanna get really good ones to make this whole ordeal worth it.

Thanks,
Brian

OneBadExpSport said:
Apparently Ford's don't take Bosch spark plugs very well...so WHY the hell are they selling them to me.

They have to sell them to somebody. :p

Did I break something else driving with only 5 cylinders running? I've recently changed that one spark plug to the same Bosch but the car is still running rough, but it seems a little better. After disconnecting the battery, the Check engine light disappeared, but it did take a few days for the first check engine light to come on.

The CEL most likely came on because the PCM detected an engine misfire. If it doesn't come back, then I wouldn't worry about it. If it does, you should get the codes read to find the problem(s).
Secondly, what spark plugs should I buy? I wanna get really good ones to make this whole ordeal worth it.

Thanks,
Brian

Actually, by my experience and what I have heard from others here on the forum, the original plugs and wires are pretty good quality. That's what I use and I have about 110k on my truck now.

I had real good luck w/ NGK V-Power (They still make 'em, only about $3.00 a piece) on my '93 4.0 years ago. Just bought my Mountaineer. Haven't changed anything yet.

Having excellent luck with NGK Iridiums on my '02 PT Cruiser. But that's a completely different animal.

Not sure about the wires. Crane Fire wires on the Cruiser. Excellent

Motorcraft. The ignition-coil maybe damaged.

Back