2001 Ranger 4.0 exhaust bolts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Ranger 4.0 exhaust bolts

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Ranger 4.0L V6
How do you get a wrench on those down pipe nuts that connect the cat to the cast iron passenger side manifold. The cat is so fat and the firewall is so close that no deepwell with a universal will fit. an extension with a u-joint has no room. i finally removed the passenger manifold from the motor and pulled the engine and left it in the bay connected to the exhaust system. i was able to pull the motor with the driver manifold on the block. the nuts were so frozen i had to cut them off and put new studs on the passenger cast manifold flange. i still have to put the flange nuts back on when i stab the motor but don't see how.

Not sure what to tell you. I have a 2001 Ranger 4.0 and I didn't have any trouble getting those off. As I recall, I used a 1/2" extension on my impact wrench and a flex socket. Didn't take me more than 30 seconds at the most to get it apart. As I recall, one nut was a straight shot and the other was at a bit of an angle (thus the flex socket), but no big problem to get to.

On the 'angled' bolt, I used a wobble extension with a
deepwell socket. A universal might have been needed
too, don't remember, but the wobble was definitely
needed. Came off easily enough with a 24" pull handle.

Back