2001 Sport Trac Cummins Conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Trac Cummins Conversion

Cristian Velez

Reaction score
City, State
Arecibo, Puerto Rico
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
Hello all, Cris from Puerto Rico... I currently own a first gen explorer sport trac 4.0 SOHC, I have not done anything to it yet except for a Magnaflow 2.5" straight pipe exhaust system. I would like to know more about what the process of making a complete conversion to a Diesel Engine would be. Goals would be to have a Cummins B series engine maybe a 3.9L 4BT, 5.9 6BT or the ISB6.7L although I believe the latter would be too big for the engine bay... A 5 or 6-speed manual transmission with 4WD. Is this crazy idea even possible on this particular vehicle? Anyone else has done a Diesel & Manual tranny Sport Trac? I am open to any and all suggestions as this a rolling project of mine.

I have also contemplated this process myself. At one point i was considering sending the idea to Diesel Dave to find out if they would like the challenge.. Keep us posted on your progress, would LOVE to see this done!!

4bt has been done a few times in explorers. I know there is at least 1 thread on this site where a guy that put one in sport trac.

Back