2001 Sport Trac Rear Disk Brake Conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Trac Rear Disk Brake Conversion

est2001

Reaction score
City, State
Timonium
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
I am considering swaping out my 01 Sport Trac rear drums for a set of disk brakes. Ford Performance Parts lists a conversion kit for $395.00. The brakes are on the weak side trying to haul down a 5,000 lbs. truck. I've checked Wilwood, Baer, Brembo and other performance brake makers and they don't offer anything currently.
Has any one had experience with the Ford kit ? Will the ABS need adjusting for the rear disk kit ? Any suggestions would be a big help. I've already installed the EE sloted rotors with a big improvement in braking I'm just looking for more stopping power. Thanks .

John
capt.jcooke@verizon.net

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought all STs came with rear discs stock? Considering the Explorer has had rear discs since 95, I figured the ST would be similar.

Last couple of sport tracs i saw on the road had drums, it is weird.

yup, they didnt put discs on Stracs until 03 (i think). if you want to do the Ford parts on a budget, look for a 95 or newer explorer (4 door or sport) in a junkyard and robb the calipers, caliper brackets, and rotors. i dont know of anyone who makes a bigger than stock rear kit. i would just go with the Ford stuff anyway, as most of your braking power comes from the front... no sense in having big Baer's on the rear and stockers on the front.

Man, the thought of drum brakes on the rear of an 01 or 02 is outrageous.

Rear Disks

Ford should have put rear disks on the ST from day one.
Considering they put r-disks on late model 02s it seems like some things at Ford are an after thought. Oh well !
Thanks for the input from all responders.

John

For $395 you could probably find a whole Explorer axle in a junkyard with disc brakes.

You may want to change the Master Cylinder too.

The operating pressures for brake balance may be significantly different.

BTW I rented a 2003 Taurus SES last summer and it had the "Hot" motor and a wing and big open wheels . And of course it had drums in the rear showing thru those pretty wheels.

Originally posted by Black Magic
I think you will be very pleased with the improved breaking power of the disks over drums.
What do you expect from a guy with the smallest lightest Explorer? I swear, it seems to me that my Sport Trac with rear drum brakes, brakes better then my Limited with the rear disc brakes. And that's with the big offroad tires and steel wheels on the Sport Trac.
I'll have to do a braking test sometime in the future.

you wont need to change the master cylinder. rear discs on an 8.8 is basically bolt on, and the stock M/C will work fine. you will more than likely want a proportioning valve, though.

John, Do you know how much both trucks weigh?

And I was just saying that this one with rear disks always even before the slotted disks stopped better than any of the ones I have driven with drums.

Rear Disc Brakes

Black Magic I have weighed my S/T at a local scale and it was 4452 lbs. empty with 1/2 tank gas. I think for now
I'm just going with the front Power Slot rotors with carbon metallic pads and see how they stop. The front brakes do the most in terms of stopping. The rear drums are almost 14 inches which is plenty beefy. I have driven a 2003 S/T with rear discs and the most noticeable difference is the balance, smoothness and linear feel when braking at all speeds.
Thanks every body for the responses.

John:) :)

Originally posted by Black Magic
John, Do you know how much both trucks weigh?
It probably doesn't mean diddly, but the GVWR off the door stickers are:
Limited = 5540lbs
Sport Trac = 5600lbs

But, I don't know what the actual weights are. And, I don't know which one will actually stop faster, but sometimes it just feels like the ST has more stopping power.

I used to think about changing over to disc in the rear, but now it just isn't that important to me now. I have plenty of braking power in the ST as it is.

Johnstone, do you even drive the ST anymore..other then off-road?

Originally posted by Ak LTD Xplorer
Johnstone, do you even drive the ST anymore..other then off-road?
I sure do when it's fixed. :D
I use it to get to work and back. The park and ride parking lot is less than 2 miles from home. The wife drive's the Limited during the day. So normally, I use the Sport Trac just for short trips close to home.

Back