• Register Today It's free!

2001 Tune-up Top Ten Items

chris chick

Reaction score
City, State
mansfield, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
The ole Explorer has reached 118,00 miles, with relatively llittle problems except the IAC, which was swapped with a new.

Other than the obvious plugs and wires, what would be the top ten other items I should look at replacing???

The only item not stock is a K&N air filter replacing the paper stock.

Is a new air intake going to get me a bit better mileage??

thanks,

chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just picked up the K&N FIPK (Fuel Injection Performance Kit) for my '99 XLT and my scangage II reported it raised my gas mileage by over 3 MPG. not bad seeing how i was only getting about 13 MPG. (stupid city driving, i have an average speed of about 15 MPH, lol)

so yea, if you are planning on keeping the truck for alittle while longer then i would pick up a K&N filter.

Viper

O2 sensors and quality plugs.
Intakes normally net a 1-2 MPG gain. I'm still waiting to do one on the '98 Sport.

I had some drastic mpg increases when I replaced my DPFE and EGR valve. I did have codes so they were definelty at fault causing sluggish acceleration and rough idle. I was averaging 10-12 mpg now its at about 20!

Don't get carried away replacing things. Test first then if needed replace.

Test the O2 sensor function with an OBD II scanner.

Assuming those are original miles and they haven't been replaced, the O2's are bad or headed that way quick. Mine just started slipping (Data-Logged) after 83,000.

The ole Explorer has reached 118,00 miles, with relatively llittle problems except the IAC, which was swapped with a new.

Other than the obvious plugs and wires, what would be the top ten other items I should look at replacing???

If it ain't broke........no real need to replace it.........but, cheap stuff.........well????

IF you haven't, here is my maintenence/change list for 100K(not in a particular order- not including plugs and wires):

1) Oil and filter
2) Trans fluid and filter
3) Transfer case fluid
4) Rear end oil
5) PCV
6) Grease joints (BJ and other moving parts)
7) T-stat
8) Radiator cap
9) Clean MAF
10) Grease wheel bearings and get new seals front and rear
11) Air filter
12) Gas filter
13) Suck and change (as much as possible) brake fluid
14) Suck and change (as much as possible) power steering fluid
15) Clean TB
16) Belt
I know I've forgotten something????

Aloha, Mark

Fredness said:
Assuming those are original miles and they haven't been replaced, the O2's are bad or headed that way quick. Mine just started slipping (Data-Logged) after 83,000.

Not necessarily. I am at about 125k miles with original upstream O2 sensors. They are functioning just fine and I get pretty good gas mileage.

Test before you replace. I would love to have a dollar for every good O2 sensor that was needlessly replaced.

supercharge it.

133314 miles the O2 sensors are all still factory and still fine.

We just got back from the beach drove 900+ miles got 16 mpg that was with both interstate and city driving on 3 tanks.

that is the exact same mileage I got on our fist trip to a beach about 5 miles closer to home the summer after I got the explorer and 105000 miles ago.

David

OK, I just ordered a MAC intake, I found a throttle body spacer on FleaBay for $65, any merit to adding this part???

Or is the $65 spent better else where??

How about exhaust, would a 70 series flowmaster give me any mileage gains?? Noticeable horsepower and obvious a bit more throaty when you get on the gas.

chris

chris chick said:
How about exhaust, would a 70 series flowmaster give me any mileage gains?? Noticeable horsepower and obvious a bit more throaty when you get on the gas.

chris

I run a Flowie 70 with a custom 2 1/2" cat back. Yes, it improved my mileage.

Good luck ......

How noisy is the Flowmaster from Stock

How much noiser is the Flowmaster's from the Factory exhaust? Had a friend that installed flowmasters on her Chevy Trailblazer and the exhaust was much louder and I didn't really like the sound on an SUV. I prefer the sound to be quiet on an SUV. On the otherhand, My corvette sounds great LOUD with straight pipes.

-Tim

The 70 is not loud at all ( and that's why I have it ). You can hear it only when you stomp on the gas.

Which of the 70 series will fit the 2001?? And who has competitive pricing on it??

thanks,

chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just changed my DPFE and the EGR sensor (not the valve, the black plastic piece) and gas mileage went down. I changed these 2 items because it had code P1400 (DPFE voltage low). Never had any sluggish acceleration or rough idle, just CEL. A mechanic friend of mine pinpointed it to the EGR sensor so I changed it out. The code did not go away so I went with my original plan of changing the DPFE. That cleared the code. Now my wife says it's about 2 mpg less (~13.5) than before on her daily commute. Just had tune up work done by same friend. I wonder if they're switching over to winter gas yet or what. Seems too early for that.

Diddy74 said:
I had some drastic mpg increases when I replaced my DPFE and EGR valve. I did have codes so they were definelty at fault causing sluggish acceleration and rough idle. I was averaging 10-12 mpg now its at about 20!

Back