• Register Today It's free!

2002-04 Explorer Purchase Advice

khodgens

Reaction score
City, State
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I'm finally in position to buy a nice used 2002-04 Explorer. I'm going to look at a '02 Eddie Bauer Friday. All appearances/photo's looks like it's been very well taken care of. 4.6 was replaced 2 months ago and comes with a written 12 month warranty, flywheel was replaced at same time, tranny serviced and has all new rotor's and brakes all around. He's asking 7K. I'm thinking more like 6K but since I've been away from Explorers for so many years can some members give me some good advice on what else I need to be concerned with when we look at it.
All help would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pay attention to how it shifts - that's the biggest piece of advice I have for anyone considering a Ford with an auto. Delayed upshifts, held gears, general sluggishness can all be signs that are easy to spot. Sometimes problems manifest themselves right away, sometimes it can take a good warmup to notice it. I drove a Cougar off the lot once and three hours later the tranny wouldn't stop slipping, but it didn't show up on a test drive. Listen/feel for bearing noise or roughness, (can feel fronts when braking and turning) have someone sit in the third row (or middle) and listen for noise from the differential.

Something I just found out on my own truck - look for unusual stains in the carpeted trunk area, especially if there is a "different" smell in the truck. I thought it was "old man smell" and that the stain was just dirt/soil. Boy was I wrong! I shampooed the interior and no matter how many times I did it, it kept smelling like a landfill! Turns out the previous owner had a cottage, maybe without garbage pickup. They apparently took their bags home with them and some leaked. When I bought the truck it was winter, and the small individual stains had long since dried. Now after shampooing, I have removed my third row and am trying to find a way to clean it without LAUNDERING the entire covering (not good for the leather/vinyl!)

Also, check for idle quality and if you can see the individual ignition coils on the plugs with the 4.6. You didn't post the miles on the truck, but these are a known fail component on these engines, which can fail at virtually any time. Dealer price on them is $70 each (x8!) but cheapo aftermarket pieces (which sometimes only last a month or so) can be had for about $30. Just something to keep an eye on. If you have a handheld code scanner, you can check if there are any stored codes when you see it - they might not have triggered the CEL but would be stored anyway.

Check the rocker panels and the dog legs (body and door, especially on a Limited or EB). There is also a thread on here about a ground wire that can chafe and ground out at the spillway for the oil filter (one of the sticky's at the top of the 2002-5 stock list)

Good luck! And have fun if you get it!

I'm well aware of the cop's and most mechanical issues since I've owned expeditions and F150 SC for the last 20 years. I've also read the sticky on the starter wire. The other body info was what I was hoping to see. Thanks, we'll see how it goes. I've looked up the KBB price and made an adjustment for the new engine hence I'll probably and start around $5500 and go from there. I know it needs new shoes which is $650. I'll report back later on what we decide after seeing/driving it.
Thanks for the input!

We passed on the 02 Explorer. The owner had the new engine put in it, drove it about 100+ miles then parked it for the last 45 days. After we got to talking he indicated the mechanic had a failure on a tranny part and was going to have it replaced. Didn't feel right, especially since we will need to make a 1700 mile trip in it in 2 weeks. Why let it set so long before having it fixed? Have now found a 04 EB, one owner, always garaged, and had all the mainenance done when needed. He has all the maint records so it looks like we'll buy it.
Thanks for the advice.

Back