2002 4.6 needs a converter.... what is best? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4.6 needs a converter.... what is best?

discbrks

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer 4.6
My wife's '02 Explorer has this rattling sound coming from the torque converter. It almost sounds like a heat shield is rattling, but its definately coming from the bellhousing. I can get a 'replacement' converter for $105.00 (not sure if its rebuilt or new) with a 1 year warranty. This truck only has 78k miles, and we plan on keeping it for a while. Is there a better converter to buy? Not necessarily a heavy duty one, but something that's built to last and has a better warranty. I don't mind paying more... but I only wanna do this once.
Thanks for any input.

Really? Is there not a better converter out there? I thought for sure someone woulda tried a Mustang converter?

I knew there had to be something out there. I couldn't be the only Explorer that had a rattling converter. Come to find out... its a common problem. I found a solution for anyone interested:

http://www.daccoatparts.com/images/torquetalks/HD5R55 Billet Piston.pdf

Call the phone number at the bottom of the page & ask for Omer... not Homer, but Omer.

I installed this in the wife's Explorer and no more noise. In fact, a stock replacement has an asteriks (*) by the part number with a footnote that says "this converter may rattle in park and neutral". But the billet upgraded converter will not. Just thought I'd pass this along.

Back