2002 Explorer is binding up, and popping when turning. Please help! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer is binding up, and popping when turning. Please help!

After reading all these posts, I'm more inclined to say it's your 4x4 computer module. From what the guys have written here, I'm assuming that the 4x4 computer module controls the 4x4 system by managing it when you select Auto, 4x4 high, or 4x4 low. I too get the noise but only after I select high or low. When I'm in Auto mode, everything is quit and smooth (which tells me that the computer module is working and engaging the proper gears when I select them). It sounds like your mechanics made a mint of money when you showed up because from the sound of it, they're chasing their tails by replacing what they 'think' is wrong, not 'what' is wrong.... I'd go to a different mechanic if I were you since they're just after your money....

I tend to agree with this. I recently drove mine back and forth down a 4000 foot long driveway to pack down the 12" of snow. I selected 4x4 high for this and the first time I got to the end and turned around on the dry pavement there was a lot of clicking and lurching which is normal when 4x4 is manually selected. After this first time I just switched to 4x4 auto when turning around and everything was quiet. The module could be defective leaving it in 4x4 high without an indication. Not sure how the shift motor plays a part in this but if it hangs up it could possibly have it mechanically stuck in 4x4 high.

arlind04 you have not said if your 4x4 works fine otherwise or whether you have AWD or 4x4. When they replaced the rear end for the suspected noise I sure hope it was not an open rear end (no limited slip).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know everyone is trying to be helpful, but most of the solutions/suggestion are related to a 4X4 Explorers. The question was specific to an AWD which has no controls inside or outside the vehicle (4 X 4 Explorers have a button or switch that allow you to set automatic or fulltime) I have the same problem. I have a 2004 AWD. It does not a 4 X 4 module, 4 high or 4 low, or any other controls that lock in any of the wheels. the AWD is very basic. It sends 60% of the power to the rear wheels and 40% to the front wheels. There is no technology built into the system that senses and wheel is slipping and sends more power to that wheel. I have replaced the front wheel hub assemblies, all the gears in the front differental and re-built the rear differential. The drive tran runs smooth and quite going straight down the road. At low speed turning a tight circle or backing out of a parking space I get the binding and popping. I have had 4 X 4 Explorers and the sympton is exactly the same as if you left your 4 X 4 locked in full time 4 wheel drive. The problem is there is nothing in an AWD system that should cause this behavior. My mechanic has had the vehicle for 2 weeks and can't figure it out. He has called friends at Ford, tried researching it, there is almost no information avialble on the AWD system. He has hit a brick wall.

I know everyone is trying to be helpful, but most of the solutions/suggestion are related to a 4X4 Explorers. The question was specific to an AWD which has no controls inside or outside the vehicle (4 X 4 Explorers have a button or switch that allow you to set automatic or fulltime) I have the same problem. I have a 2004 AWD. It does not a 4 X 4 module, 4 high or 4 low, or any other controls that lock in any of the wheels. the AWD is very basic. It sends 60% of the power to the rear wheels and 40% to the front wheels. There is no technology built into the system that senses and wheel is slipping and sends more power to that wheel. I have replaced the front wheel hub assemblies, all the gears in the front differental and re-built the rear differential. The drive tran runs smooth and quite going straight down the road. At low speed turning a tight circle or backing out of a parking space I get the binding and popping. I have had 4 X 4 Explorers and the sympton is exactly the same as if you left your 4 X 4 locked in full time 4 wheel drive. The problem is there is nothing in an AWD system that should cause this behavior. My mechanic has had the vehicle for 2 weeks and can't figure it out. He has called friends at Ford, tried researching it, there is almost no information avialble on the AWD system. He has hit a brick wall.

Search for "viscous clutch". I think your's is locked up. There are posts that claim it can be R/R'd without dropping the transfer case.

edit: Sorry, the correct term is "viscous coupling". Here's a starting point for your research:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279713

That was the problem. After replacing axles (cv joints), differental gears, bushings and wheel hub assemblies the viscous clutch was the issue. Thanks for the response. It is amazing how little information is out there about the AWD. Tons of information and help for 4WD but a lot of people didn't even know the explorer made an AWD version.

Glad you found the problem. It is a shame that these vehicles were not easier to diagnose where these noises are coming from.
When I was shopping for my vehicle I was considering a 2003 Limited that had the AWD. I called my transmission shop to ask his opinion and all he said was that if the tranny has to be repaired be prepared for a bigger repair bill.

I've got the same issue. I'm pretty sure it's the coupling. Is there a detailed write-up on removing and opening the transfer case? I have access to a lift and air tools. Please help. Thanks guys.

I've got the same issue. I'm pretty sure it's the coupling. Is there a detailed write-up on removing and opening the transfer case? I have access to a lift and air tools. Please help. Thanks guys.

I haven't seen a write up on that. It would be welcome here if you have time to add it though. :thumbsup:

Back