2002 Explorer is binding up, and popping when turning. Please help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer is binding up, and popping when turning. Please help!

mysterrid

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer AWD
Thank you for reading. I own a 02 Explorer AWD. When turning at slow speeds, i.e. into parking spaces, my steering binds up, then BAM, and really loud pop and the steering gives way. It will continue to bind and pop until you straighten the wheels. For instance...if I drove in a circle, it would pop and bind about every 3-5 feet. It does this in reverse as well. I have taken it in and it doesn't seem that anyone knows what is going on. I have also replaced the rear end.
If any of you guys out there could suggest something, I would greatly appreciate it. Please let me know if you have any advice.;)

Terri

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could also be the 4wd control module.
My 02 Explorer is doing the same thing. I've been reading these forums trying to find a solution. Yesterday we pulled the 17 and 18 fuses in the main fuse box under the hood (these control the 4x4). So far with the 4x4 basically turned off the binding has stopped. If the problem stays away it might indicate a bad 4x4 control module which might be engaging the 4x4 high thus causing the binding on slow, tight turns.
There are threads on here dealing with replacing the 4x4 control module which is located behind the glove box. The source for a new cm seems to be silverstatefordparts in Las Vegas, NV.

Thank you for reading. I own a 02 Explorer AWD. When turning at slow speeds, i.e. into parking spaces, my steering binds up, then BAM, and really loud pop and the steering gives way. It will continue to bind and pop until you straighten the wheels. For instance...if I drove in a circle, it would pop and bind about every 3-5 feet. It does this in reverse as well. I have taken it in and it doesn't seem that anyone knows what is going on. I have also replaced the rear end.
If any of you guys out there could suggest something, I would greatly appreciate it. Please let me know if you have any advice.;)

Terri

Hi Terri, I think your explorer is fine, but I have a few questions.

How long have you owned this explorer? Is this something new or has it always done it?

Are you sure you have an AWD and not a 4WD?
I didnt think Explorers were available with AWD
You likely have 4x4 auto, 4x4high and 4x4low buttons.

With that said, you are doing this on dry pavement too right?

I think your explorer is working ok.

Picture this, when you turn a tight corner, the outside wheels turn faster than the inside wheels. The 4x4 Control Module thinks there is wheel slippage and engages all wheels. Because in 4x4 all wheels turn the same speed the outside wheels have to "hop" or bang or thump to allow the inside wheels to turn. This is normal but should be avoided on dry pavement.

my 04 will do this too sometimes when I pull in a parking spot or do a u-turn.
The thing is, is that if you let the truck idle into the parking spot or around the bend, you wont get a thump.

if you apply gas in a tight turn in most any 4x4, you'll get the same result

Are you sure you have an AWD and not a 4WD?
I didnt think Explorers were available with AWD
You likely have 4x4 auto, 4x4high and 4x4low buttons.

They did make an AWD Explorer sometime during 2002-2005. Just like you, I thought that they didn't, but I just saw one on the road this passed Saturday.

They did make an AWD Explorer sometime during 2002-2005. Just like you, I thought that they didn't, but I just saw one on the road this passed Saturday.

They must be super rare! Just like the manual transmission 3rd gens...Ive heard they exist but never seen one.

sjj62 - I have been experiencing the same thing along with flashing of both 4WD and 4WD-Low lamps on the dash. Removing fuses seems to have eliminated the issue with binding while turning but I think the problem could be either in the CM or something within the Transfer Case. Any ideas on how to narrow the problem?

I own a 2003 Ford Explorer that is an AWD. Didn't know they were rare. I also have a problem with a griding noise (like a binding up) when I am going under 10 mph and turning. I don't hear a pop, but it does seem to bind up. Any other ideas out there on how to analize the problem?

sjj62 - I have been experiencing the same thing along with flashing of both 4WD and 4WD-Low lamps on the dash. Removing fuses seems to have eliminated the issue with binding while turning but I think the problem could be either in the CM or something within the Transfer Case. Any ideas on how to narrow the problem?

You can do the brown wire mod which will allow you to disable 4 high and 4 low. See this article. It would be somewhat of a band-aid fix but it will work.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194875&highlight=brown+wire+mod

As far as your problem with hearing the popping when you make a sharp turn you might need to check you hub assemblies. I had the same problem and it turned out that my front drivers side hub assembly was bad.

AWD Explorers are everywhere. There are probably 10 to 15 in just my area. I have a '96 AWD XLT 5.0. I don't have the buttons to select different settings. It is always AWD (fulltime 4wd). That is probably what you are hearing. They sound terrible rolling down the road. CV joints, double-cardan type u-joints on the driveline, and the viscous coupler will all make this noise. Does it do it rolling down the road and let off the accelerator? Does it only do it turning? Does the sound change on acceleration/deceleration? You can't do a brown wire mod to an AWD, only a AWD/4WD.

As far as your problem with hearing the popping when you make a sharp turn you might need to check you hub assemblies. I had the same problem and it turned out that my front drivers side hub assembly was bad.

I had had the same issues and it turned out to be the driver's side front hub/bearing assembly as well. :salute:

I experienced a similar problem, the Mountaineer struggled at low speed tight turns, and sort or wriggled back and forth as I drove around in circles. It turned out to be the transfer case. It is really important that you keep the tires rotated and balanced on FoMoCo AWD vehicles...

Look at your tires. Tire circum and inflation - If incorrect will cause auto and awd systems to engauge. Thinking a slip is taking place.

I just posted the exact same problem then I got lead to this forum and it's the same thing happening to my ford as well. Tight turn and it acts like its trying to engage to 4x4 with a what I call a binding or "grunging" noise, then it comes out of it when I get the wheels straight, but it's starting to do it a lot more often and it can get pretty loud when doing it too. I just had my transfer case replaced last summer but after reading some posts about CV joints, 4x4 control module, etc I better check it out. My tag reads grunging noise if you want to read my post please. I am also getting the flashing 4x4H, 4x4L lights flashing but not constantly just intermittently.
What can I do for the present to stop this? And should I take it in for a mechanic to looksee? And if it's going to be expensive what can I do myself until I can save some money to get it fixed. My income is only $700 a month it's not squat after rent, bills, and doctors. ANY IDEAS?

Also if equipped, rear diff Clutch packs starting to fail would also make that noise. But would not set off any 4X4 lights.

They must be super rare! Just like the manual transmission 3rd gens...Ive heard they exist but never seen one.

probably because your in florida lol. I see them all the time someone a down the road from me has one.

Hello, would be desperetly interested to know what the outcome of the issue was. I have no noise, but i have a binding in sharp curves, at low speed.
I spent the whole day at a work shop and still no solution
Today i brought it to a shop and they told me that it was the TC and they replaced it within 2 hours. We test-drove the car - but the problem still there.

Then they said that the problem was coming from the rear differential - so they replaced the differential. Again, the car is binding in curves...

What should i do?

Please advise!
Thanks and best regards

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, would be desperetly interested to know what the outcome of the issue was. I have no noise, but i have a binding in sharp curves, at low speed.
I spent the whole day at a work shop and still no solution
Today i brought it to a shop and they told me that it was the TC and they replaced it within 2 hours. We test-drove the car - but the problem still there.

Then they said that the problem was coming from the rear differential - so they replaced the differential. Again, the car is binding in curves...

What should i do?

Please advise!
Thanks and best regards

After reading all these posts, I'm more inclined to say it's your 4x4 computer module. From what the guys have written here, I'm assuming that the 4x4 computer module controls the 4x4 system by managing it when you select Auto, 4x4 high, or 4x4 low. I too get the noise but only after I select high or low. When I'm in Auto mode, everything is quit and smooth (which tells me that the computer module is working and engaging the proper gears when I select them). It sounds like your mechanics made a mint of money when you showed up because from the sound of it, they're chasing their tails by replacing what they 'think' is wrong, not 'what' is wrong.... I'd go to a different mechanic if I were you since they're just after your money....

Back