2002 explorer xlt transfer case shield | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 explorer xlt transfer case shield

McFudden

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Elsinore, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002, Explorer xlt
so my transfer case skid plate has broken off one of its anchor points and it rattles so damn much it’s slowly driving me insane. Because the universe hates me, the part has been discontinued. The OEM part number is/was 1L2Z-6N634-AA. I know if I just take it off I’m going to hit my transfer case on a rock the next time I go off-road. Again, the universe hates me. Anyone got a line on this part?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How did it break. Post a picture. how many hits are on the skid. Might be time to replace it with an aftermarket unit.

How did it break. Post a picture. how many hits are on the skid. Might be time to replace it with an aftermarket unit.
It literally broke off where the front bolts to the undercarriage. Like a clean break... it just snapped off the hole the bolt goes through. It’s still firmly attached at the other two bolts but the front is hanging free and it rattles something fierce. I’ve thought about trying to “repair” it but I figured since the part used to only cost about $17 why not replace it? Of course now I can’t find it. I could just remove it but with my luck with this explorer (I’m on engine #2 and transmission #3) the day I take it off a rock is going to find my transfer case or the shaft seal.

I have no idea how it broke. My guess is 176k miles near the ocean. The explorer is on 31s so I really doubt I bottomed out enough to snap it free. I haven’t even SEEN anything after market to replace it. I’d totally be open to that but I’d have to find one. Trust me... google has been my friend.

JB Weld where the bolt broke . . . Use the high temp stuff if it gets hot enough.

Back