• Register Today It's free!

2002 ExplorerXLT 4x4 Dead...

LeanneWJ

Reaction score
City, State
Champion, AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I have a 2002 Explorer XLT. I bought it just over a year ago and it has had the typical 02 Explorer issues, which I was aware of when I bought it.

I've replaced the transmission last February and now I'm working on the 4x4 which has never worked. I've replaced the TCCM and the buttons on the dash NOTHING...I've checked the fuses multiple times and they seem fine (we've checked 4 of them, so unless there's more than that?). The only thing I haven't changed is the shift clutch. The lights on the dash don't light up when I press 4x4 Hi or Low either. It's like the 4x4 system is dead...

Does anyone have any other ideas for me?? It's getting quite irritating that I can't figure this out...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2002 XLT also with the same problem of 4x4 not engaging. (no lights lighting when pushing the 4x4 low, or 4x4 high buttons on the dash) I think mine may have something to do with the right front wheel bearing/hub assy. and speed sensor that I just changed. I have read some of the other posts on it being the 4x4 control module located behind the glove box. Pt# 1L2Z7E453-A. When looking behind my glove box I see a box, or module with a part # 1L24-14B205-BC. When I searched this number it says it is a multi-function gem module. This module has a hole near the top that I was wondering if it could be a reset button by pushing a pointed object into it. ??? Would anyone have any information on this? Would this box control the 4x4?

I have a 2002 XLT also with the same problem of 4x4 not engaging. (no lights lighting when pushing the 4x4 low, or 4x4 high buttons on the dash) I think mine may have something to do with the right front wheel bearing/hub assy. and speed sensor that I just changed. I have read some of the other posts on it being the 4x4 control module located behind the glove box. Pt# 1L2Z7E453-A. When looking behind my glove box I see a box, or module with a part # 1L24-14B205-BC. When I searched this number it says it is a multi-function gem module. This module has a hole near the top that I was wondering if it could be a reset button by pushing a pointed object into it. ??? Would anyone have any information on this? Would this box control the 4x4?

If I am not mistaken and after thinking about it, the 4x4 Control Module is located behind the glove box and is a common problem for early model 3rd gen Explorer 4x4 systems to not work. That is probably the Gem module you are talking about. Don't know if they can be reset, most just changed them out for a new one and it solved their 4x4 problems. Check those old posts on that issue.

Found this dont know if it will help or not.. cut/paste from yahoo answers

I don't know if you are aware that this system is protected by 5 fuses, 2 are located in the BJB (battery junction box, under the hood) they are both (20 amp, yellow) and the fuse location # is 17 and 18. and the other 3 fuses are in the CJB (central junction box, inside the vehicle) these are 5 amp fuses and are in locations 12, 15, and 29!
The 4WD module is mounted on the blower motor housing under the passenger side of the dash)
The 4WD control module is a very common failure on this vintage of explorer!

NOTE: If replacing the 4WD control module, be aware that there are three different modules available, depending on vehicle build date and configuration. They are not interchangeable.

I had similar problems and replaced the 4x4 cm box thing. it still didnt work so i checked the transfer case and found a ground that was disconnected. fixed that and it has worked ever since. I would start there, very common problem for early explorers

I wanted to update this post, maybe it will help someone out. I was putting off buying this new 4x4 control module as the 02 explorer was not being driven much. A couple weeks ago the used battery that I had in it finally died. I went to Walmart and got an economy $50. new battery that was for my particular model. Cleaned the terminals again, and when I put the terminals on the lights flashed. That, as I started recalling had something to do with what I was reading here a ways back. Its been so long that I almost forgot about the 4x4 not working. I started it, and wondering if the 4x4 would work. I really did not expect it would work. I pushed the 4x4 low button, and clink, I heard it and felt it engage. Looked down at the light, and walla, yes it was on. Tried 4x4 high button, and yes it worked and lighted as well. I am happier than a bug in a rug. Who would have thought just a battery?

Back