2002 Ford Explorer 4x4 XLT 4.0L 6cyl SOHC->Engine not getting gas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer 4x4 XLT 4.0L 6cyl SOHC->Engine not getting gas

2ndcovenant

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002ExplXLT 4x4 4.0L 6cyl
It has a new fuel pump, fuel filter, alternator and starter. The fuel pressure gauge says 0 (zero) pressure from the schraeder valve and fuel rail. The return tube on the fuel filter is installed toward the engine, so the fuel filter is not installed backwards. What could cause me to have no fuel pressure?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has a new fuel pump, fuel filter, alternator and starter. The fuel pressure gauge says 0 (zero) pressure from the schraeder valve and fuel rail. The return tube on the fuel filter is installed toward the engine, so the fuel filter is not installed backwards. What could cause me to have no fuel pressure?
Check voltages at pump and fuse

The pump and fuse both show good voltage and yes, there is an enertia shut off switch behind that panel. From what i understand, when i press the shut off switch, it was "not" tripped if I feel no pressure or click, but it "was" tripped (ie shut off) if i feel a click when i depress the switch.

when I press the switch, i don't feel or hear a click, so i am assuming that the shut off switch has not been thrown.

I picked up a vacuum tester today but it's supposed to start raining soon with that hurricane coming towards us. I have never tested a vacuum system before so any suggestions would be great.

This truck has been an adventure.

I love the truck but fixing all of the issues over the past two months has been a bit of a nightmare.

It started when I went down the street to Krogers twice in one day. The first time, on the way home, i took a right turn and it tried to cut off on me but didn't after I gave it some more gas. I got home fine. Later that night, i went back to Krogers and this time, when I made a right hand turn, it did cut off. I switched the ignition switch off and back on and it cranked fine and i got home fine. The next day, i checked for voltage on the fuel pump and relays, and made sure the battery was fully charged, and they were all good so i started to put it on ramps so that i could look at the fuel filter. Sadly, it only drove a few feet, angled onto a very steep hill and half off of a raised drive way, so the truck (from back to front) was on a 35 degree angle, and side to side was on a 20 degree angle. I couldn't safely get a jack under it so I had to work with my back on the ground. A few days later, my son and my daughter's boyfriend helped move the truck to the street so that we could work at least semi-level. The truck now has a new starter, new fuel filter, and new alternator. We picked up a new fuel pump and new battery back in january. I took the battery to the store and they showed me that it read with a solid, pretty much new, full charge. The alternator and starter were bad too it seemed but even with all of this being new, the truck will now turn over but will not fully crank. Upon testing for fuel pressure, after finally getting the new filter in, we heard the fuel pump turn on but there is no gas pressure to the fuel rail (which was probably what made it cut off at Kroger almost a month ago now).

I have been unable to check the forums for a few days due to the hurricane, tropical storm that passed through our area much less work on the truck but now here we go again ) .

I read on the forums that I need to check the pcv valve and the vacuum hoses next since it may be a vacuum problem causing the fuel line not to get fuel.

I have never done any of that before and cannot seem to find where to start. I picked up a vacuum test kit.

Can anyone give me pointers on what I am doing, or whether either of those options could really be causing the fuel rail not to get fuel?

Thanks

I have been searching for "how to" pages and videos on how to test the vacuum hoses but they all mention having the truck running when you test. My truck will only "try" to start, without getting gas, it's not going to run. Can I still do a vacuum test somehow?

I have been unable to check the forums for a few days due to the hurricane, tropical storm that passed through our area much less work on the truck but now here we go again ) .

I read on the forums that I need to check the pcv valve and the vacuum hoses next since it may be a vacuum problem causing the fuel line not to get fuel.

I have never done any of that before and cannot seem to find where to start. I picked up a vacuum test kit.

Can anyone give me pointers on what I am doing, or whether either of those options could really be causing the fuel rail not to get fuel?

Thanks

Well lo and behold, I turned the key in the ignition and it turned over and started to crank. I tried this several times and one time, it actually ran for about 10 seconds before cutting off. Most of the time, it would cut off right after the engine would start. So, I turned the key to On and went to the fuel rail shraeder valve and instead of plugging up the Harbor Freight Tools fuel test kit, I took a small screwdriver and pressed it against the, now open, shraeder valve and, YES! Gas sprayed all over the place. I, once again, tried using the HFT fuel test kit and this time, gas sprayed out from every point that it could along the tool's hose connections. I made certain that the connections were tight and they were as tight as they could be made and the tool was still spraying a lot of gas. This means three things: 1) the tool was damaged and it's brand new out of the box, 2) The truck's fuel rail IS getting gas and the tool misread the fuel pressure the first time I tried it (before the storm blew in) and 3) The fuel pump IS working and sending gas to the rail. So at least I finally have some good news about this truck.

Now I still need to find out why the truck will not stay running after it starts to crank. Aargh.

I have been searching for "how to" pages and videos on how to test the vacuum hoses but they all mention having the truck running when you test. My truck will only "try" to start, without getting gas, it's not going to run. Can I still do a vacuum test somehow?

Back