• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport Trac Hot Start Issue:

Oldbutslow

Reaction score
City, State
Allen
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer Sport Trac
I had the infamous hot start issue with my girl. Let her sit for an hour and all proceeded well. Searching this issue, there were lots of posts and ideas for a fix, but no definitive cures noted. It feels like a fuel issue. Has anybody come to grips on what could be the cause? Thanks, Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you continue to cycle the key to price fuel pump, does that help it start? someting tells me its either a fuel pump drainback (?) issue, or iac heat soaking

I did cycle the key and it acted the same. Has the gas tank on these ever had a venting issue. And excuse my ignorance, but what is the iac? Thanks and keep those ideas coming in. I’ll dig into these ideas tomorrow. ,BK

Idle Air Control Valve=IAC

If it always starts cold, and will restart immediately after shutdown warm, but has trouble after it sits awhile, it’s a classic coolant temperature sensor issue.

Idle Air Control Valve=IAC

If it always starts cold, and will restart immediately after shutdown warm, but has trouble after it sits awhile, it’s a classic coolant temperature sensor issue.
yes ECT as well!

Back