2002 to 2004 liftgate replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 to 2004 liftgate replacement

MudRat_Explorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
I was able to replace the 2004 Explorer XLT liftgate with a 2002 Eddie Bauer model. BUT, one of the electrical connections is different. The 2004 has one "8 wire" connection which plugs in fine to the 02 (probably tail lights, etc), but the 04 also has a "4 wire" connection that doesn't match up with the 02 smaller "3 wire" connector. What options do I have other then re wiring the liftgate??

It also looks to me like the 04 windshield wiper motor is a different setup also, then the 02.
Looking for a "quick fix", don't care if wiper motor or defroster works.

If I leave this connection unplugged, it appears the other connections wires get hot. Can I pull out a fuse, would that make life easier???

Any ideas??
Thanks,
Mudrat

I ran into this problem when I replaced my 02 with an 03 gate. They changed the wiper motor in mid 03, thus making the harness different. I ended up cutting the harness on the gate side and rewiring it into the old harness. Definitely not fun, but doable.

I ran into this problem when I replaced my 02 with an 03 gate. They changed the wiper motor in mid 03, thus making the harness different. I ended up cutting the harness on the gate side and rewiring it into the old harness. Definitely not fun, but doable.
Hey!
I hate to bump this old thread but I’m running into the same issue. Can I get some info?

Back