2002 XLT 4.0 V6 4WD Very Occasionally Won't Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 XLT 4.0 V6 4WD Very Occasionally Won't Start

stig111

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
This has happened twice now. It cranks like crazy but seems like not getting any fuel. First time was 5 months ago. I let it sit overnight and it started fine the next day. No problems since then until today. Today did the same thing, cranks and cranks but won't start. I waited 30 minutes this time and then it started right up. 120K miles. Not driving as much the last 12 months but it is on the road at least 2-3 times per week and started fine yesterday. Plugs were done at 90K. Fuel Filter and Fuel Pump 70K.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What brand of fuel pump did you use?

Wouldn't start again last Tuesday. I had run several errands including some highway driving. On the last stop of course it wouldn't start. Sprayed some starter fluid and it started right away and ran until the starter fluid was exhausted. Did that several times so definitely was not getting fuel. Swapped fuel pump fuse and relay with no change. Drained the battery trying to start it and had to let it sit overnight. Next day started right up with a jump and has been OK since. It sat for about 2 days before I could check battery. Voltage was 12.4. While running it's around 14.4 with no load and 13.5 with load. Battery is 4.5 years old so I'm thinking might as well replace it. Wondering if alternator should also be replaced.

Next time bang on the tank, it’ll probably start. I’d start driving all the gas out of it so you can drop that tank easier. The fuel pump is clearly junk.

Back