2002 xlt 4.6 dual exhaust questions help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 xlt 4.6 dual exhaust questions help

donrobbery

Reaction score
City, State
king, nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
I would like a true dual exhaust with a pair of 40 series delta flow mufflers and still retain an under body spare tire. I already know there is no room to run the exhaust on both sides of the truck because of the gas tank but I was wondering is there enough space to run both pipes down the drivers side (stock location) and can that third catalitic converter be removed without the engine light coming on. If anyone has done this to their 4.6 ex. please post the pics so I can prove it to the muffler guys that it can be done. These guys around here looked at me like I was crazy when I told them what I wanted to do. I would like to run 2.5 inch pipes. Also if anyone has pics of exhaust tips on their explorers I would like to see them for possible ideas, please no coffee cans for tips.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like a true dual exhaust with a pair of 40 series delta flow mufflers and still retain an under body spare tire. I already know there is no room to run the exhaust on both sides of the truck because of the gas tank but I was wondering is there enough space to run both pipes down the drivers side (stock location) and can that third catalitic converter be removed without the engine light coming on. If anyone has done this to their 4.6 ex. please post the pics so I can prove it to the muffler guys that it can be done. These guys around here looked at me like I was crazy when I told them what I wanted to do. I would like to run 2.5 inch pipes. Also if anyone has pics of exhaust tips on their explorers I would like to see them for possible ideas, please no coffee cans for tips.

im still wondering if duals can be run but as of now im low on cash... from expirience though, if u have the 40 series flowmaster ur not gunna be disappointed... its basically the sound of having it come straight out the cat without it being rite under ur feet... i put mine in with a turndown and its plenty loud but im still wondering how hard it would be to run duals... i would like to see someone takle this because ive seen a few explorers with duals

I got a muffler shop thats gonna try to run 2 2.25inch pipes down the drivers side and then turn out behind the rear wheel and I will still be able to keep my spare, SWEET! Cost $360

i dunno if this is what your talking about but this is how mine is done, hope this helps

i dunno if this is what your talking about but this is how mine is done, hope this helps

looks good besides the fact that it runs lower than the frame... bet its got a sweet sound though

I like that look my only concern is the lower ground clearance you got running the pipe under the the differential, I gotta borrow my friend's digital cam for my pics. I got a flowmaster 40 series single 3" inlet and dual 2 1/2" outlets but my tailpipes are 2 1/4" with the same tips you got except mine exit at the drivers side, lots of rumble and growl and power to boot! The pipes are run down the stock location, Scotties Muffler in Winston-Salem, NC (336)377-9800 final price $420

Show this to your muffler shop. And tell them some 3rd world Mexicans did it with ease ;)

I have:

JBA's
2.5'' True Duals
X Pipe
2 Super 40's
2 Resonators

The 40's fit inside the stock heat shield and the spare tire still fits. I don't have it because of other mods where the spare tire goes.

http://media.putfile.com/AWDROCKS-H-Pipe-88

Go to cars.

www.mexicoracing.com

Alright Alex....quit showing off LOL!

Alright Alex....quit showing off LOL!

LOL..

I'm on a little rampage right now huh!!! I'm just excited to see this forum pick on modded street X's. I didn't visit much because it was pretty slow... in a matter of a few months its gotten much better. Cool.

Yeah, it's slowly getting better! But no one's Explorer compares with yours! I still say you have done a fine job with it and need to get it into a magazine

Yeah, it's slowly getting better! But no one's Explorer compares with yours! I still say you have done a fine job with it and need to get it into a magazine

Thank you Aaron.

Funny you say that because ill be in SD in about 2 weeks for a 6 month period and I getting the rest of my work done with JBA Racing, and I asked him about doing a magazine and they are going to talk to their marketing manager to see if they are interested in doing an article. Would be very cool. BTW: I might be the ginne pig for JBA making some long tube headers for our babys ;) Wouldnt that be sweet? Lets keep our fingers crossed.

When I called them years ago asking about some shorty's they didn't have them yet, and my phone call got it all started. Would be a cool thing to do the same for some LT's.

Yeah I remember you saying on ********* that your are moving to SD for 6 months or so. That would be awesome if you get into a magazine, you'll definetely have to update us on that. Also, make sure you update us on the JBA headers, I would buy a set in a heartbeat! Enjoy your trip!

I just checked out your explorer on your site, that is really nice work. I have a flowmaster 40 series and it sounds good too, but I like the way you have the tail pipes coming out the bumper. Keep up the good work. Hopefully soon I will post my X with similar mods.

I just checked out your explorer on your site, that is really nice work. I have a flowmaster 40 series and it sounds good too, but I like the way you have the tail pipes coming out the bumper. Keep up the good work. Hopefully soon I will post my X with similar mods.

Thanks!!!

Post up your pics :thumbsup:

Back