2003 Explorer XLT with bad Camshaft Postion Sensor?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Explorer XLT with bad Camshaft Postion Sensor??

gts95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 xlt
Hello, I have a 2003 Explorer XLT with the 4.0 Flex fuel engine (engine code "K"). This thing has had a slight miss to it for quite some time, like a bad plug wire or something. Well recently it has gotten much worse, and the CEL has come on. You can smell raw fuel out of the exhaust. I pulled the codes and was getting DTCs for random engine misfire (P0300), misfire on cylinder #3, and P0316 (misfire on startup).

At any rate, the plugs and plug wires, and crank position sensor have been changed, with no improvement. I also swapped the coil pack with one from a buddies Explorer and that made no change either. We then verified I was getting spark to all the cylinders and it is getting a strong spark to all plugs. So, that leads me to believe it is a timing issue (either spark or fuel). For grins, I unplugged the Camshaft Postion Sensor (located at the front of the drivers side valve cover) and it made NO difference in how it ran?!? It did throw the code for a CPS circuit malfunction when I did this, but went away when I plugged it back in. Would this be an indication that the sensor is bad??

Other than the Camshaft Position Sensor I'm thinking a faulty PCM??

Help!

Hi all, First post! I have on 03 XLT with the identical problem and codes. I bought a camshaft sensor to replace my old one. Do you think that is the issue? I replaced the plugs and wires as well. Thanks!

Back