2003 factory XLT running board(s). | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 factory XLT running board(s).

ACQB

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Parked our 2003 XLT in a mall parking lot, spent a few hours shopping. Came out to find the passenger side board gone. Cordless impacts are handy I guess. Mall security showed two full vans parking on each side. Never saw any "perps". Might have been lucky with only losing a running board because a police car rolling thru the lot appears to have scared the folks in the vans away before they could "liberate" anything more than the 1 running board.
Called dealer for replacement...OUCH $$$$! Slightly more than insurance deductible. Have looked on Ebay. Very few listings and crazier prices than dealer. Bone yards have proved fruitless up here in the land of rust.
Anyone out there take off/swap running boards on their 2002-2005 XLT and have them laying around?
Maybe we can work a deal? Looking for the factory "waffle" pattern OEM passenger side running board with brackets. Nuts would be nice too, they only left 4 behind. But Fastenal should have the missing ones.
ANYONE???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here we have a junk yard and an automall. Junk yard is for everything 10~15 years or older pretty much. Pick n pull type.

The automall takes good low mile vehicles in accidents and strip them down and sell perfectly good used parts. That would be the place you want.

But other than that... Good luck!

Here we have a junk yard and an automall. Junk yard is for everything 10~15 years or older pretty much. Pick n pull type.

The automall takes good low mile vehicles in accidents and strip them down and sell perfectly good used parts. That would be the place you want.

But other than that... Good luck!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have already hit every bone yard, U-pull and they pull for 150+ miles around. (there are 49 of them in total) Either the board "cover" is messed up, the reinforcement is bent, or the brackets are rusted junk. Our 2003 is a solid 9.5 of 10 condition wise. Im sure that had something to do with why they went after the running boards. Talked to a friend of mine who owns an independent car sales lot about this. He says its not the first time he's heard of such. The "liberators" roll into car lots and pull accessories off cars and trucks all the time. Sometimes in broad daylight with staff on the lot.
Once upon a time had someone "liberate" a spare tire from under my Chevy S-10. Never dreamed a running board would disappear...Crazy times we live in, in many ways.

I have a pair of these if your still looking,contact me at REDL78@JUNO.COM
Beautiful pair of OEM assembly line Ford Explorer Running Boards. These fit the years 2002 2003 2004 2005 and each side is 77" long. They come with all their mounting hardware needed to attach. Plastic is nearly brand new. Hardly used as they are Early dealership take offs during 2005.Taken off a 2003 Explorer & have been sitting in my garage since. Sides are marked and the front too. Bottom steel is solid with only light surface rust,not even worth mentioning,but want to be honest.

032.JPG

017.JPG

030.JPG

019.JPG

033.JPG

023.JPG

024.JPG

013.JPG

012.JPG

031.JPG

Should have updated this. Picked up a set from the dealer quite a while back. Vert' challenged wife and also aged mom required a quick replacement. Getting a set was cheaper than just one. Typical, right? Now there is a spare on hand if another is ever "liberated" again.
Someone out there, besides me, has to be looking for a set. Specially up in the Rust Belt where it was proven nice ones such as those are rare (I looked for a couple months).
Good Luck, thanks for the offer.

I have a pair of these if your still looking,contact me at REDL78@JUNO.COM
Beautiful pair of OEM assembly line Ford Explorer Running Boards. These fit the years 2002 2003 2004 2005 and each side is 77" long. They come with all their mounting hardware needed to attach. Plastic is nearly brand new. Hardly used as they are Early dealership take offs during 2005.Taken off a 2003 Explorer & have been sitting in my garage since. Sides are marked and the front too. Bottom steel is solid with only light surface rust,not even worth mentioning,but want to be honest.

View attachment 168675

View attachment 168676

View attachment 168677

View attachment 168679

View attachment 168680

View attachment 168682

View attachment 168683

View attachment 168685

View attachment 168686

View attachment 168687

And here I am.

Running board available.
Traded off our beloved Explorer for an Expedition EB Edition.
Have a never been mounted/brand new Explorer XLT Factory/OEM running board with hardware available if anyone is looking for one. Like to get $250 out of it or B/O/ Theyw ere darn spendy when I was looking for one 3+ years ago.
If I recall correctly, the boards and hardware are universal side to side.... Send me an email if you are interested, I don't haunt this forum not like I did. No clue what shipping will be. In the Mpl/St Paul MN area if local.
Email: acqb99@hotmail.com

Back