2003 Ford Explorer V6 4.0L. Idling and accelerating rough/stuttering. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Ford Explorer V6 4.0L. Idling and accelerating rough/stuttering.

txexplorer4life

Reaction score
First, the check engine light came one. I went to Autozone and had them check it. I did not get the actual codes the first time. The guy said the explorer was running to lean. I had never changed the spark plugs and I have 160k miles on it. I changed the plugs and wires, $80. I drove it around a little that night the explorer ran well. The next day, it started to idle rough. So the engine was running lean, I replaced a the fuel filter next. With parts, tools, and a Saturday morning about $30. Still idling rough. I went to Autozone later and got the actual codes. P0306(Cylinder misfire detected-cylinder number 6), P0316(Crank Sensor Condition), P0174(Fuel trim bank two condition), and P0171 (Fuel trim bank one condition). This pointed the Autozone guy to MAF sensor. $121.99 later, I installed it in the parking lot. Also I thought I might of missed up the gaping when I installed the spark plugs. So I went home and pulled the plug and all was well. I even installed one of the old plugs and it still idled rough. Through all this the check engine light never went off. So for grins tonight I disconnected the battery and waited a few minutes. Then reconnected it. The check engine light went away. I drove around the block 3 or 4 times and still idling and accelerating rough. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

G'day mate, welcome. Try giving the throttle body a clean. Make sure you use a dedicated throttle body cleaner tho'.

Spray soap and water along your intake and look for any place where it is leaking, try using some fuel injector cleaner, and unhook your battery or pull the fuse to the ecu for a good 2 hours. That will reset your ecu, then when you crank your car back let it idle for at least five minutes then do some highway driving so your computer can catch up to all the new parts.

Did you use di-electric grease between the plugs and wires?

hope this helps :)

SOLUTION!!!!
Thanks for all the help! I solved the problem. The only other cheap part I had not replaced yet was the PCV valve. When I went to replace the valve, it was loose!!!! I replaced it and made sure it was seated well and the hose was attached firmly. Then I replaced the cylinder 6 spark plug. I disconnected the battery wait a few minutes and reconnected it. Then I started it up and rough idle went away!
I was going to take it to a mechanic today and it was going to cost me $60 to hook it up to there computer.
So through all this, I think all I needed to do was replace the MAF sensor and reseat my PCV valve. I did get a bad spark plug it was a Autolite Iridium from Autozone.
On the bright side, I replaced lots of stuff I was neglecting.
New spark plugs and wires, Fuel Filter, and PCV valve. I hope this thread help someone else the headache I went through. Thanks again for all the help!!!!

good job man, It probably runs like new with all the work you did to it

SOLUTION!!!!
Thanks for all the help! I solved the problem. The only other cheap part I had not replaced yet was the PCV valve. When I went to replace the valve, it was loose!!!! I replaced it and made sure it was seated well and the hose was attached firmly. Then I replaced the cylinder 6 spark plug. I disconnected the battery wait a few minutes and reconnected it. Then I started it up and rough idle went away!
I was going to take it to a mechanic today and it was going to cost me $60 to hook it up to there computer.
So through all this, I think all I needed to do was replace the MAF sensor and reseat my PCV valve. I did get a bad spark plug it was a Autolite Iridium from Autozone.
On the bright side, I replaced lots of stuff I was neglecting.
New spark plugs and wires, Fuel Filter, and PCV valve. I hope this thread help someone else the headache I went through. Thanks again for all the help!!!!
This is a great help as o have a 2003 sport trac it currently has 2090/0 and just started to run rough along with the undercarriage needing serious attention. The sway bushings are needing serious help tie rods bearing etc.
The rough bogging down rough idle seems to dissipate as it gets heated . I live in Nevada .
I guess my main question is is it worth spending all of that little which ends up being a lot or just ride ir till the wheels fall off?

I know the engine will be about 3500 and tranny about 4500. I just don't have 10k laying around .

Back