• Register Today It's free!

2003 Inner Tie Rod Question

03Explo20

Reaction score
City, State
Jonestown, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Is it possible to remove the inner tie rod on my 03 using just basic tools or am I going to need to buy that removal kit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The tools are the way to go and you can usually borrow them (with a deposit) from most auto parts stores with the parts purchase.

while tools are the way to go, keep in mind that you need a tie rod tool for a "truck" not a car, the rinky dink autozone loan a tool won't do.... but a rather large pair of channel locks will work perfectly. (speaking from experience)

Mrooney322, what company makes this type of tool for trucks? They all look the same to me one way or the other.

Thanks brother!

honestly i couldnt tell you, haven't got a clue myself! but if you are looking at pictures your going to need one with quite a long end section, there you insert the crowfoot to the tool. it should look like a rather large flashlight, i will se what i can find for you though

Yea I tried without the recommended tools and it was a headache, got tools and 30 minutes later... done

Fellas, just one final question on this. Does the inner tie rods have any kind of lock pin that needs to be popped off in order to unscrew the inner rod out? I saw a few Youtube videos of certain vehicles that have this and was wondering if Ford uses these.

Thanks a load guys!

Back